Families Forums

Full Version: Transfer calc relationships via sync
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Suggestion: transfer, via sync, whatever relationships have been calculated within Legacy.  While it’s possible to calculate relationships in Families, it is very time consuming in a moderately large file (52,000+ individuals).  Legacy calculates in excess of 112,000 relationships with “Blood Relationship” limited to 5 and “Non-Blood Relationships” limited to 0 paths.
(15-Mar-2017, 03:38 AM)GRP43 Wrote: [ -> ]Suggestion: transfer, via sync, whatever relationships have been calculated within Legacy.  While it’s possible to calculate relationships in Families, it is very time consuming in a moderately large file (52,000+ individuals).  Legacy calculates in excess of 112,000 relationships with “Blood Relationship” limited to 5 and “Non-Blood Relationships” limited to 0 paths.

I've checked with Millennia and this is not feasible.  The relationship text is not held in the FDB file and requires a large and complex set of code within Legacy to generate it.  This is not accessible by third party applications.  In any case it would not be ideal, as the relationships would be as calculated at the time of transfer to Families, so recalculating them for a different target individual or because individuals had been added to or deleted from the file would still require calculation within Families.  Note that you can reduce the time taken to calculate relationships by lowering the "Maximum Cousin Distance" setting.

Malcolm Green
(22-Mar-2017, 10:34 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-Mar-2017, 03:38 AM)GRP43 Wrote: [ -> ]Suggestion: transfer, via sync, whatever relationships have been calculated within Legacy.  While it’s possible to calculate relationships in Families, it is very time consuming in a moderately large file (52,000+ individuals).  Legacy calculates in excess of 112,000 relationships with “Blood Relationship” limited to 5 and “Non-Blood Relationships” limited to 0 paths.

I've checked with Millennia and this is not feasible.  The relationship text is not held in the FDB file and requires a large and complex set of code within Legacy to generate it.  This is not accessible by third party applications.  In any case it would not be ideal, as the relationships would be as calculated at the time of transfer to Families, so recalculating them for a different target individual or because individuals had been added to or deleted from the file would still require calculation within Families.  Note that you can reduce the time taken to calculate relationships by lowering the "Maximum Cousin Distance" setting.

Malcolm Green
Malcolm:
OK, thanks for exploring my suggestion; I had no clue as to whether it would be complicated.
GRP43