Families Forums

Full Version: New version 3 Search function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I loaded the new version on my iphone,but it does not seem to be available yet for the ipad.
I wanted to search for an individual by using 'surname, given name' and only could find how to search by surname only. 
Also, tried to search by RIN and can;t seem to change it from 0.
Another question is howo you change the default detailed search primary field so it is something besides todays date?

I consider myself an experienced user and guess I am missing something. Do you have tutorials?

thanks,
Fred  Huh
(09-Feb-2018, 08:17 PM)saarf Wrote: [ -> ]I loaded the new version on my iphone,but it does not seem to be available yet for the ipad.
I wanted to search for an individual by using 'surname, given name' and only could find how to search by surname only. 
Also, tried to search by RIN and can;t seem to change it from 0.
Another question is howo you change the default detailed search primary field so it is something besides todays date?

I consider myself an experienced user and guess I am missing something. Do you have tutorials?

thanks,
Fred  Huh

It is available for the iPad (it's exactly the same download as for the iPhone).

Detailed Search allows you to search for surname and given name with more flexibility than the old method, e.g. you can search for surname equals green and given name contains malcolm.

Change the value by tapping it then entering the new value.

You can't currently set a default for the search criteria but you can save the search and reload it.  We'll probably change it so that it reverts to the last used set of values by default.

There is no tutorial as such.  There is help available on each screen, and "How To" pages on the web site, currently for the sync process but we may extend this to other areas.

Malcolm Green
Malcolm,
First, I use this app alot and it saves me from dragging my PC with me during research.

However, I still am having issues with 'surname, given name' search. I have had several others try it and no luck.  May I suggest having a non Families user try to do a search and see if they can do it. I can do surname only but that does not help when you get into surnames like Smith.

Thanks for any help,
Fred
(20-Feb-2018, 04:08 PM)saarf Wrote: [ -> ]Malcolm,
First, I use this app alot and it saves me from dragging my PC with me during research.

However, I still am having issues with 'surname, given name' search. I have had several others try it and no luck.  May I suggest having a non Families user try to do a search and see if they can do it. I can do surname only but that does not help when you get into surnames like Smith.

Thanks for any help,
Fred

Using the Kennedy file as an example, to search for all Kennedy's whose given name includes John:

Tap search button, select Detailed Search
Leave "Clear before search"
Select Primary Condition, tap Field and select Surname
Leave Condition as Equal To
Tap Value and enter Kennedy
Tap Second Condition and select Action And
Tap Field and select GivenName
Tap Condition and select Contains
Tap Value and enter John
Tap Create List - 3 individuals should be listed

Note that this is a direct equivalent of the same search using Legacy's Detailed Search.

Malcolm Green