Families Forums
PC software issues. - Printable Version

+- Families Forums (http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum)
+-- Forum: Families for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad (http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Comments, Feedback & Suggestions (http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: PC software issues. (/showthread.php?tid=5095)

PC software issues. - Sefdik - 02-Aug-2013

Hello everyone,

First I think we need a new sub-forum dedicated to the software on a PC/Mac.

Yesterday I ran Families Sync and was invited to update. I did so and was informed it would be better if I removed Families Sync from my PC and reload again a complete new version from the website. This I duly did.

Downloaded OK, started to install, my C drive is really full and I would have liked the option to install on another drive but this was not available, please fix this software team. Then it said I needed to install MS C++ v??? 2010 (or something like that). I was not aware of what I had so I let it go ahead. It duly failed to correctly install the C++ and I have no idea why. I choose to continue and everything semmed OK except the time bar faied to indicate anything, then it completed successfully it said. BUT it failed to install the C++ bit.

I opted to open Families Sync and everything appeared to be fine. There was a question about the Legacy directory that I did not understand so I looked into setting and changed various data directories. None of this appears to have been noticed when I actually ran a Sync, the data files were put into new directories on my C drive again. I am not a computer novice but neither am I an expert, I was for a while perplexed.

The Sync did work but not without some head scratching. Please software team get a complete novice to help you write your notes and help for you, someone who has to use the product, it's no good experts writiing them as they know (or think they know) what's happening.

So THREE questions:
 °1 - Why did it fail the C++ installation?
 °2 - Can I have an ability to install on another drive other than C?
 °3 - What's the point of the directory setting options if they are ignored?

Thanks in anticipation, always willing to help improve things.

Seth REEDER, Burgundy, France.

RE: PC software issues. - malgre - 02-Aug-2013

(02-Aug-2013, 11:50 AM)Sefdik Wrote: Hello everyone,

Yesterday I ran Families Sync and was invited to update. I did so and was informed it would be better if I removed Families Sync from my PC and reload again a complete new version from the website. This I duly did.

Downloaded OK, started to install, my C drive is really full and I would have liked the option to install on another drive but this was not available, please fix this software team. Then it said I needed to install MS C++ v??? 2010 (or something like that). I was not aware of what I had so I let it go ahead. It duly failed to correctly install the C++ and I have no idea why. I choose to continue and everything semmed OK except the time bar faied to indicate anything, then it completed successfully it said. BUT it failed to install the C++ bit.

I opted to open Families Sync and everything appeared to be fine. There was a question about the Legacy directory that I did not understand so I looked into setting and changed various data directories. None of this appears to have been noticed when I actually ran a Sync, the data files were put into new directories on my C drive again. I am not a computer novice but neither am I an expert, I was for a while perplexed.

The Sync did work but not without some head scratching. Please software team get a complete novice to help you write your notes and help for you, someone who has to use the product, it's no good experts writiing them as they know (or think they know) what's happening.

So THREE questions:

1. The C++ error is a Microsoft issue, which only affects location of folders on Android devices, therefore it won't concern you.
2. Yes, we'll add that option in the next version. Thanks for pointing it out.
3. The only query regarding directories during the installation is to locate the Legacy installation folder, which is required in order to access Legacy's settings. This defaults to C:\Legacy so normally can be left unchanged. It appears that you selected the Settings screen and changed some folder settings there. We're not aware of any problems with these settings, but if you let us know which of them does not behave as expected, we'll look into it. Note that help is available for this and other aspects of the program, and you can also view the "How To" pages at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/howto for information on syncing family files.

Malcolm Green

RE: PC software issues. - Sefdik - 02-Aug-2013

(02-Aug-2013, 04:02 PM)malgre Wrote:
(02-Aug-2013, 11:50 AM)Sefdik Wrote: Hello everyone,

So THREE questions:

1. The C++ error is a Microsoft issue, which only affects location of folders on Android devices, therefore it won't concern you.
2. Yes, we'll add that option in the next version. Thanks for pointing it out.
3. The only query regarding directories during the installation is to locate the Legacy installation folder, which is required in order to access Legacy's settings. This defaults to C:\Legacy so normally can be left unchanged. It appears that you selected the Settings screen and changed some folder settings there. We're not aware of any problems with these settings, but if you let us know which of them does not behave as expected, we'll look into it. Note that help is available for this and other aspects of the program, and you can also view the "How To" pages at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/howto for information on syncing family files.

Malcolm Green

Thanks Malcolm.
Your answers:
Point 1 - It did concern me because it popped upon my PC screen. So may your coders need to look into that if it does not apply to PCs.
Point 2 - Great. (The second installation screen does suggest you g BACK to change options but there's not much to chnage there).
Point 3 - I'll do another sync later on and let you have more detail. It may be mis-underst anding what is going on, hence my earlier reference to 'help' writers. Thanks for the pointer to the How-To pages.

Thanks for the response. Merci bien.

Seth /0^0\, Burgundy, France.