Families Forums
Problem with latest version of Families - Printable Version

+- Families Forums (http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum)
+-- Forum: Families for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad (http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Problems & Troubleshooting (http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Problem with latest version of Families (/showthread.php?tid=5438)

Problem with latest version of Families - Rick - 04-Oct-2017

Huh
I recently upgraded to Legacy version 9 and so wanting to refresh my database on my Android tablet I also updated to the latest version of Families. I thought I should also update to the latest version of Families Sync as I had not done this for a time. The method I use to put the Sqlite file on the tablet is to remove my external microsd card from the tablet and mount it on the PC. I then run Families Sync using my new Legacy 9 fdb file as source and target the folder i have been using for some time on the microsd card. The Families Sync file conversion proceeded as normal and created the expected Sqlite file in my folder on the microsd card. However when I replaced the microsd card in the tablet and booted up Android and started Families , the app did not show the new file , only the sample file.
I eventually checked the settings and found that there was a Base Folder setting which did not reflect the Folder which I have always used in the past and into which I had placed the new file. There seems to be no way of changing this Base Folder setting. Even worse , the Base folder specified, is write protected and I cannot copy the new file into it and Families Sync cannot use it to write the file to my tablet any longer.
How can I proceed now ?

RE: Problem with latest version of Families - admin - 04-Oct-2017

(04-Oct-2017, 03:09 PM)Rick Wrote: Huh
I recently upgraded to Legacy version 9 and so wanting to refresh my database on my Android tablet I also updated to the latest version of Families. I thought I should also update to the latest version of Families Sync as I had not done this for a time. The method I use to put the Sqlite file on the tablet is to remove my external microsd card from the tablet and mount it on the PC. I then run Families Sync using my new Legacy 9 fdb file as source and target the folder i have been using for some time on the microsd card. The Families Sync file conversion proceeded as normal and created the expected Sqlite file in my folder on the microsd card. However when I replaced the microsd card in the tablet and booted up Android and started Families , the app did not show the new file , only the sample file.
I eventually checked the settings and found that there was a Base Folder setting which did not reflect the Folder which I have always used in the past and into which I had placed the new file. There seems to be no way of changing this Base Folder setting. Even worse , the Base folder specified, is write protected and I cannot copy the new file into it and Families Sync cannot use it to write the file to my tablet any longer.
How can I proceed now ?

You need to check “Use external storage”.

Malcolm Green

RE: Problem with latest version of Families - Rick - 04-Oct-2017

Malcolm,
               It is checked. The Base folder points to /mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/uk.co.telgen.families/files
Before I upgraded to this latest version the app seemed happy picking up my Legacy 8 version which I stored in a Folder called Families on the external storage. I also seemed to have had an old version on the external storage but no in a folder ( I don't recall if I ever used it in that way ). Is it the intention that the Sqlite conversion be written to the folder specified in the Base folder setting ? If so the new version of Families Sync doesn't seem to want to do it.

RE: Problem with latest version of Families - Rick - 06-Oct-2017

Malcolm,
              I did some further checks on what could be wrong. There were suggestions to do with Write Protection that the SD card might be randomly getting locked as it was inserted into the PC slot. That seemed unlikely to me as I had already written the Legacy 9 SQLite file to the card in my Families folder. I tried also converting my old Legacy 8 fdb file and successfully wrote that to the Families folder. I looked for settings on the Android Families app which might allow me to write to the Base folder specified with no success but on seeing that a New Family file name could be specified I tried that , thinking that I might have to point the Families app to my new file , but of course it just created a new blank database. I thought I would put something in it just to see what it would do about saving it. I found that it wrote the new Sqlite file to the Base folder with no problem. I could see all of these files from my Windows system on the PC so it seemed to make no sense that the SD card would be in Write Protect mode. However I gave it a try and pressed the little slider hard , even though it appeared unlocked, there did not seem to be any movement, I inserted it into the PC slot very carefully to ensure that the slider was not pushed down. When I looked at the new blank data base Families had created , the options drop down now gave me a Delete option , which had been missing the prevoius times I had the problem. So I decided to delete the new database , and it worked. So then I copied my Legacy 9 Sqlite conversion from my Families file to the Base folder and that also worked. So putting the card back in the tablet I tried the Families app and it picked up my new family file and is now working fine.
I still cannot explain why I seemed to have no problem previously with the SD card. Nor can I explain why I seemed in the past to be able to use my own Families folder and not the Base Folder, I don't recall ever using it as the target for Legacy fdb conversions.

RE: Problem with latest version of Families - admin - 09-Oct-2017

(06-Oct-2017, 05:04 PM)Rick Wrote: Malcolm,
              I did some further checks on what could be wrong. There were suggestions to do with Write Protection that the SD card might be randomly getting locked as it was inserted into the PC slot. That seemed unlikely to me as I had already written the Legacy 9 SQLite file to the card in my Families folder. I tried also converting my old Legacy 8 fdb file and successfully wrote that to the Families folder. I looked for settings on the Android Families app which might allow me to write to the Base folder specified with no success but on seeing that a New Family file name could be specified I tried that , thinking that I might have to point the Families app to my new file , but of course it just created a new blank database. I thought I would put something in it just to see what it would do about saving it. I found that it wrote the new Sqlite file to the Base folder with no problem. I could see all of these files from my Windows system on the PC so it seemed to make no sense that the SD card would be in Write Protect mode. However I gave it a try and pressed the little slider hard , even though it appeared unlocked, there did not seem to be any movement, I inserted it into the PC slot very carefully to ensure that the slider was not pushed down. When I looked at the new blank data base Families had created , the options drop down now gave me a Delete option , which had been missing the prevoius times I had the problem. So I decided to delete the new database , and it worked. So then I copied my Legacy 9 Sqlite conversion from my Families file to the Base folder and that also worked. So putting the card back in the tablet I tried the Families app and it picked up my new family file and is now working fine.
I still cannot explain why I seemed to have no problem previously with the SD card. Nor can I explain why I seemed in the past to be able to use my own Families folder and not the Base Folder, I don't recall ever using it as the target for Legacy fdb conversions.

I'm glad you got it working.  FYI the Base Folder value is determined according to the "Use External Storage" setting and cannot be changed by the user as it has to conform with Android's standard for location of app data files.  The value will always end with "/Android/data/uk.co.telgen.families/files.  The first part varies according to the device type and Android version.  For example, on my Galaxy S4 the values are:
Use External Storage = false:    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/uk.co.telgen.families/files
Use External Storage = true:     /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/uk.co.telgen.families/files

Malcolm Green