Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sync does not recognize device
]I have installed sync on my PC based computer running windows 7 and installed families on my Ipad. When I attempt to sync my Ipad the device does not register on my pc under devices. I am running a Wi-Fi connection but that does not help. Nor does connecting the Ipad to the computer with the patch cord. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you
Don H.[/size]
(07-Aug-2010, 01:46 AM)harshy Wrote: I have installed sync on my PC based computer running windows 7 and installed families on my Ipad. When I attempt to sync my Ipad the device does not register on my pc under devices. I am running a Wi-Fi connection but that does not help. Nor does connecting the Ipad to the computer with the patch cord. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you
Don H.

Don,

Do you have iTunes installed on the PC and can it "see" your iPad?

Malcolm
(07-Aug-2010, 09:23 AM)malgre Wrote:
(07-Aug-2010, 01:46 AM)harshy Wrote: I have installed sync on my PC based computer running windows 7 and installed families on my Ipad. When I attempt to sync my Ipad the device does not register on my pc under devices. I am running a Wi-Fi connection but that does not help. Nor does connecting the Ipad to the computer with the patch cord. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you
Don H.

Don,

Malcolm

(07-Aug-2010, 01:15 PM)harshy Wrote:
(07-Aug-2010, 09:23 AM)malgre Wrote:
Thank you
Don H.

Don,

Yes
Malcolm
Don,

The process whereby Families Sync "finds" the iPad uses a mechanism called "Zero Configuration Networking" (zeroconf). Apple's version of zeroconf is called Bonjour, and when you tap the Sync button, Families "advertises" its sync service via Bonjour. The PC needs to have Bonjour installed (normally as part of iTunes), and this results in the Bonjour Service running in the background, which does the clever networking stuff. Families Sync browses for advertised services, which should be seen via the Bonjour Service. As soon as a new device is discovered, it is added to the left pane in FS, and when the service browser sees that a device has disappeared, it is removed from the left pane.

This mechanism has been tested on a wide range of machines, operating system versions and devices, and hasn't previously caused a problem. However, there obviously is a set of conditions where it is failing and I need to establish what these are so that I can fix the problem as a matter of urgency. I 'd be very grateful if you're willing to assist me in this and, if so, I suggest that it will be more efficient if we take this offline and also avoid cluttering up the forum with lots of technical detail. If you're happy to assist please email me at malcolm@telgen.co.uk.

Malcolm
(07-Aug-2010, 08:05 PM)malgre Wrote: Don,

The process whereby Families Sync "finds" the iPad uses a mechanism called "Zero Configuration Networking" (zeroconf). Apple's version of zeroconf is called Bonjour, and when you tap the Sync button, Families "advertises" its sync service via Bonjour. The PC needs to have Bonjour installed (normally as part of iTunes), and this results in the Bonjour Service running in the background, which does the clever networking stuff. Families Sync browses for advertised services, which should be seen via the Bonjour Service. As soon as a new device is discovered, it is added to the left pane in FS, and when the service browser sees that a device has disappeared, it is removed from the left pane.

This mechanism has been tested on a wide range of machines, operating system versions and devices, and hasn't previously caused a problem. However, there obviously is a set of conditions where it is failing and I need to establish what these are so that I can fix the problem as a matter of urgency. I 'd be very grateful if you're willing to assist me in this and, if so, I suggest that it will be more efficient if we take this offline and also avoid cluttering up the forum with lots of technical detail. If you're happy to assist please email me at malcolm@telgen.co.uk.

Malcolm

I appear to be having the same issue. Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home, iTunes installed and recognizes iPod Touch 32GB with plenty of free space. Legacy installed in default folder but databases are not. I changed the file location in Settings to reflect this. WiFi is turned on.

Terri
There are various networking and configuration issues which can affect the ability of Families Sync to automatically locate devices. We have therefore added an alternative mechanism in 1.0.1, allowing Families Sync to locate the device via an address which is displayed by the Families app.
Latest update fixed my problem, sync worked. Found my Ipad, data copied over in seconds and I'm delighted!
Thank you
Debbie
(12-Aug-2010, 10:40 AM)admin Wrote: There are various networking and configuration issues which can affect the ability of Families Sync to automatically locate devices. We have therefore added an alternative mechanism in 1.0.1, allowing Families Sync to locate the device via an address which is displayed by the Families app.

Hi guys,
I am also having this problem. I have version 1.0.1 installed & it displays the Kennedy Family ok. Families Sync is installed and starts ok but does not find the iPhone. iTunes does recognise the phone and does an auto-sync. I am on Windows 7 and connected via the iPhone patch cable.
Even using the IP address shown when I hit the Sync button, it is not shown as a device. Any ideas where to look next?
TIA
Steve O
(15-Aug-2010, 12:43 PM)steveo Wrote:
(12-Aug-2010, 10:40 AM)admin Wrote: There are various networking and configuration issues which can affect the ability of Families Sync to automatically locate devices. We have therefore added an alternative mechanism in 1.0.1, allowing Families Sync to locate the device via an address which is displayed by the Families app.

Hi guys,
I am also having this problem. I have version 1.0.1 installed & it displays the Kennedy Family ok. Families Sync is installed and starts ok but does not find the iPhone. iTunes does recognise the phone and does an auto-sync. I am on Windows 7 and connected via the iPhone patch cable.
Even using the IP address shown when I hit the Sync button, it is not shown as a device. Any ideas where to look next?
TIA
Steve O

Steve,

The sync operation requires a WiFi connection - it cannot be done through the USB cable. You need to have WiFi enabled on your phone, and your PC needs to be on the same network as your phone.

Malcolm Green
(15-Aug-2010, 06:47 PM)malgre Wrote: Steve,
The sync operation requires a WiFi connection - it cannot be done through the USB cable. You need to have WiFi enabled on your phone, and your PC needs to be on the same network as your phone.
Malcolm Green
Hi Malcolm,
Still not working. Even though I had the cable plugged in, the wi-fi was also on. So what I've done now;
- Unplugged the cable
- PC is connected to wireless home network and then to internet
- iPhone is connected to wireless home network & then internet. Both of these connections are working.
- iTunes can see the iPhone and can do a sync on apps etc..(although this is via the cable)
- Checked wi-fi settings on iPhone - set to On, Connected to Network, Ask to Join Networks - On

When I run the Families Sync on the PC I get no identified networks. Even using the supplied IP address all I get is a message "Cannot connect to remote server" (or words to that effect - sorry I'm not at home at the moment). Should I be able to ping the iPhone from my PC? Will try anyway.

Will investigate further when I get home this evening. Thanks for your assistance.

Steve O