Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
birth versus christening
I am new to this program, just uploading it today. I noticed that in family view that in the born section of a person that the christening date does not substitute for a birth date. prior to 1837 in England it is not common to have a birth date since the baptism record is the record that is relied on for the persons birth. that christening date could be days or months or years from the actual birth. Also it is common to have a burial records rather than a death record. Its only a few days, but the gedcom has always separated the two out. a vast majority of my people do not have a death date, but a burial date. Now in the family view I do not get a clear picture of the family, but have to click additional tabs to see what is there. I use an ipad. Undecided
(17-Feb-2011, 11:32 AM)donjgen Wrote: I am new to this program, just uploading it today. I noticed that in family view that in the born section of a person that the christening date does not substitute for a birth date. prior to 1837 in England it is not common to have a birth date since the baptism record is the record that is relied on for the persons birth. that christening date could be days or months or years from the actual birth. Also it is common to have a burial records rather than a death record. Its only a few days, but the gedcom has always separated the two out. a vast majority of my people do not have a death date, but a burial date. Now in the family view I do not get a clear picture of the family, but have to click additional tabs to see what is there. I use an ipad. Undecided

So I guess a solution would be to display the baptism date if is specified and there is no birth date, and the burial date if it is specified and there is no death date.

Malcolm Green
(17-Feb-2011, 07:12 PM)malgre Wrote:
(17-Feb-2011, 11:32 AM)donjgen Wrote: I am new to this program, just uploading it today. I noticed that in family view that in the born section of a person that the christening date does not substitute for a birth date. prior to 1837 in England it is not common to have a birth date since the baptism record is the record that is relied on for the persons birth. that christening date could be days or months or years from the actual birth. Also it is common to have a burial records rather than a death record. Its only a few days, but the gedcom has always separated the two out. a vast majority of my people do not have a death date, but a burial date. Now in the family view I do not get a clear picture of the family, but have to click additional tabs to see what is there. I use an ipad. Undecided

So I guess a solution would be to display the baptism date if is specified and there is no birth date, and the burial date if it is specified and there is no death date.

Malcolm Green

That is the solution and I hope to see it in the near future