Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Families folder not located
Hi Anyone;

I am just trying to get started and ran into an error message. Family Sync starts, clicked on "sync android using USB". Selected "Write legacy file to Device", Selected legacy file and conversion proceeded. When I clicked "Next" I received the following error message "The Families folder on your SD card cannot be located". I can look at the SD card using Windows Explorer and cannot find anything called Families folder. Anyone have a sugestion?

wlemmon3@msn.com
(13-Jul-2011, 11:31 PM)wlemmon3 Wrote: Hi Anyone;

I am just trying to get started and ran into an error message. Family Sync starts, clicked on "sync android using USB". Selected "Write legacy file to Device", Selected legacy file and conversion proceeded. When I clicked "Next" I received the following error message "The Families folder on your SD card cannot be located". I can look at the SD card using Windows Explorer and cannot find anything called Families folder. Anyone have a sugestion?

wlemmon3@msn.com

Have you run the app on your phone? The Families folder is created the first time you run it, and you should see the sample file Kennedy.sqlite in it.

Malcolm Green
Hi Malcolm,

I have run the app a number of times and I still get the error message "The Families folder on your SD card cannot be located". I have even added a new file so the Families folder must be there. I sure hope that you have more ideas about what is wrong.
(15-Jul-2011, 12:43 AM)wlemmon3 Wrote: Hi Malcolm,

I have run the app a number of times and I still get the error message "The Families folder on your SD card cannot be located". I have even added a new file so the Families folder must be there. I sure hope that you have more ideas about what is wrong.

It appears that this phone has both internal storage and an SD card. It may be that it's defaulting to store the Families folder in internal storage rather than the SD card. Run Families, press the menu button and select Settings and check the value of the Base Folder. I think this will be /emmc or some such if it's using the internal memory. If so, change it to /sdcard, exit the app then run it again. If it's now accessing the SD card you'll probably now only see the sample file. Mount the SD card in Windows and check whether you can now see the folder.

Malcolm Green
Thanks Malcolm,

The Base folder is set at "/mnt/sdcard". I am not sure what the "mnt" means unless it means mount. I am unsure about the meaning of "Mount the SD Card in Windows". In the Settings "SD and phone storage", the SD card is mounted. Is that what it means? In Setup I have set the default USB connection type to "Disk Drive". Is that correct? Also I have not found a way to delete a file from the folder if I need to minimize the amount of data incase I run into memory problems.

Bill
(16-Jul-2011, 01:02 AM)wlemmon3 Wrote: Thanks Malcolm,

The Base folder is set at "/mnt/sdcard". I am not sure what the "mnt" means unless it means mount. I am unsure about the meaning of "Mount the SD Card in Windows". In the Settings "SD and phone storage", the SD card is mounted. Is that what it means? In Setup I have set the default USB connection type to "Disk Drive". Is that correct? Also I have not found a way to delete a file from the folder if I need to minimize the amount of data incase I run into memory problems.

Bill

To mount the SD card in Windows you connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable then "pull down" the status bar at the top of the screen. This will show an option "USB connected" - tap this and select "Mount". Your SD card should then appear as a removeable drive in Windows. Do the reverse to unmount it (or you won't be able to access the SD card from the phone).

If you want to manage files on the phone, e.g. delete them, you can use a file manager app like Filer or Astro - I don't know what's installed on your particular phone but if you can't find one, there are several free ones in Android Market.

Malcolm Green
Hi Malcolm,

Still no luck in making it work. When I connect my phone to my computer I can not find a place where it tells me that that the USB is connected. So I have not selected "Mount". I can find "Notifications" but there is nothing about USB being connected. Is there any documentation with some trouble shooting that I can access? Got any more Ideas?

Bill
(18-Jul-2011, 06:43 AM)wlemmon3 Wrote: Hi Malcolm,

Still no luck in making it work. When I connect my phone to my computer I can not find a place where it tells me that that the USB is connected. So I have not selected "Mount". I can find "Notifications" but there is nothing about USB being connected. Is there any documentation with some trouble shooting that I can access? Got any more Ideas?

Bill

I think you'll need to read the manual for your phone to check how to connect to PC via USB. I've told you the way that most Android phones connect but maybe there's something different with your phone.

Malcolm Green
Hi - I am new on this and have probably wtitten to the wrong thread!
I have just purchased Families for my Android Asus Tablet, downloaded and opened it - only to find just the Kennedysample file and no instructions as to finding my own Legacy 7.5 files on the PC. Although FAMILIES is there as an App, I can't find a folder for it in the files and therefore cannot copy a genealogy file into that folder.
I am stuck, as I was with Genstar Pro before!
Please advise!
David
Hi Malcolm'

I finally solved the problem. I am not sure what was wrong but rebooting the phone by removing the battery and putting it back in seems to have solved the problem. It must have been a phone problem. I have copied a couple of my files to the phone and it works about like you said it should. I called Verizon about a couple of other problems and they suggested removing the battery. Thanks for all the ideas and help.

Bill Lemmon