Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pictures added from iPhone in wrong place on PC
I have been waiting for several years for an iPhone App that will work with Legacy. Finally the first version(s) are available and overall, I find it very impressive.

I have noticed that when I add a picture via the iPhone App, they are placed in the "C:\Legacy" folder instead of the "C:\Legacy\Pictures" folder with all the other pictures. The picture is properly displayed on the local PC. However, pictures added via the PC they are properly placed the the "Pictures" folder.

This causes some confusion with the backup (at home) and then restore to another (at work) machine so I can transfer everything from home to work and back. The pictues added on the iPhone don't get backed up and restored properly.
(17-Aug-2010, 10:50 PM)george.cotton Wrote: I have been waiting for several years for an iPhone App that will work with Legacy. Finally the first version(s) are available and overall, I find it very impressive.

I have noticed that when I add a picture via the iPhone App, they are placed in the "C:\Legacy" folder instead of the "C:\Legacy\Pictures" folder with all the other pictures. The picture is properly displayed on the local PC. However, pictures added via the PC they are properly placed the the "Pictures" folder.

This causes some confusion with the backup (at home) and then restore to another (at work) machine so I can transfer everything from home to work and back. The pictues added on the iPhone don't get backed up and restored properly.

Thank you for pointing this out. I guess that rather than storing in the explicit folder "C:\Legacy\Pictures", we should probably use the first folder listed in the "Current List of Multimedia Locations" as shown in Options>Customize>Locations in Legacy. We'll update Families Sync to make this change.

Malcolm Green
Yes, that would probably be a good idea as "pictures" is the default, but some folks may put them elsewhere for one reason or another. Follow the same format with the other "location" options to be safe. I use the defaults (as set by reset).

Again, overall a very, very usable (and stable for me) version 1+ for the program. I have an iPhone 3g & 4, both with 4.0.2 firmware and Windows XP with all SP's and updates.

Thanks.
(18-Aug-2010, 02:09 PM)george.cotton Wrote: Yes, that would probably be a good idea as "pictures" is the default, but some folks may put them elsewhere for one reason or another. Follow the same format with the other "location" options to be safe. I use the defaults (as set by reset).

Again, overall a very, very usable (and stable for me) version 1+ for the program. I have an iPhone 3g & 4, both with 4.0.2 firmware and Windows XP with all SP's and updates.

Thanks.

I was just going to implement the change I proposed but discovered that Families Sync already does store new pictures in the first folder in the list of multimedia locations (this is held in the tblBP table in the family file). Can you run Legacy, open the file to which you added the photo, then select Options>Customize>Locations>View Current List of Multimedia Locations and tell me what the list contains?

Malcolm
My folders are those created by pressing "Reset"
In order as shown.

C:\Legacy\Pictures
C:\Legacy\Sounds
C:\Legacy\Videos
C:\Legacy\Docs

However if you click on "View current list of multimedia locations", the first entry is "C:\Legacy" and pictures is the second entry. Could this be the source of the problem?

I'm not at home and don't have WiFi access to try a new add to make sure it's repeateable. I do have a copy of Legacy on this netbook I travel with so that's where I got the above info. Will be back home later this weekend.
Just got home and added a picture on the iPhone to an individual. Checked the PC Locations and it does show "pictures" as the location to store. Did a sync and the new picture is stored in the c:\Legacy folder but does show up properly in Legacy.

However, it is not placed with all the other pictures.
(22-Aug-2010, 12:48 AM)george.cotton Wrote: Just got home and added a picture on the iPhone to an individual. Checked the PC Locations and it does show "pictures" as the location to store. Did a sync and the new picture is stored in the c:\Legacy folder but does show up properly in Legacy.

However, it is not placed with all the other pictures.

I've modified Families Sync to store new pictures in the location specified by Legacy's default location of picture files. If this is not available for any reason, the first entry in the Current List of Multimedia Locations will be used. These changes will be available in the next version of Families Sync.

Malcolm Green
Got the update today for the PC side. The pictures are still stored in the C:Legacy folder when added to the iPhone. However, if added on the PC, they stay in the right place when synced back to PC.
George and Malcolm,

Many months ago on my PC, at Options/Customize/Locations, and clicking on View Current List of Multimedia Locations, I deleted the first line entry that had been C:\Legacy7\. The second line entry is C:\Legacy7\Pictures.

As a test, I added a photo with Families, then synced the file back to Legacy, and that file showed up in the Pictures sub-folder.

Legacy functions just fine without the C:\Legacy7\ entry as a first line.

John Zimmerman