Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug in family view & another in the index view
I have probably found a bug in die familiy view: When i tap and hold the individual's spouse to select an alternative spouse nothing happens!

Therefore i can not view the e.g. second spouse of a individual person, although there is the symbol for a second spouse: § 1 of 2.

Maybe the bug is only on the Galaxy Tab?

An i also can not select a family in the index view, which have a "ä","ö","ü","ß" letter in its name.
(27-Jul-2011, 07:50 AM)Mopok Wrote: I have probably found a bug in die familiy view: When i tap and hold the individual's spouse to select an alternative spouse nothing happens!

Therefore i can not view the e.g. second spouse of a individual person, although there is the symbol for a second spouse: § 1 of 2.

An i also can not select a family in the index view, which have a "ä","ö","ü","ß" letter in its name.

I can't reproduce your problem with selecting an alternative spouse (I've tested in on the Galaxy Tab emulator). Can you try it on the sample file, e.g. tap and hold J F Kennedy, which should display Onassis & JFK. If this works, the problem may be specific to your file.

I also can't reproduce the problem with accented letters in the index. One issue which may cause confusion is that accented characters are not sorted ignoring the accent so names may appear out of order (this is a limitation of the SqLite implementation on Android).

If these problems persist, the quickest way to resolve them will be to send me a family file (fdb or sqlite) which I can use to reproduce the problem. This could just be a small extract from your main file, and would be treated in strictest confidence. If you wish to do this please send to supportinfo@telgen.co.uk.

Malcolm Green
(27-Jul-2011, 11:54 AM)malgre Wrote:
(27-Jul-2011, 07:50 AM)Mopok Wrote: I have probably found a bug in die familiy view: When i tap and hold the individual's spouse to select an alternative spouse nothing happens!

I can't reproduce your problem with selecting an alternative spouse (I've tested in on the Galaxy Tab emulator). Can you try it on the sample file, e.g. tap and hold J F Kennedy, which should display Onassis & JFK. If this works, the problem may be specific to your file.

I also can't reproduce the problem with accented letters in the index. One issue which may cause confusion is that accented characters are not sorted ignoring the accent so names may appear out of order (this is a limitation of the SqLite implementation on Android).

If these problems persist, the quickest way to resolve them will be to send me a family file (fdb or sqlite) which I can use to reproduce the problem. This could just be a small extract from your main file, and would be treated in strictest confidence. If you wish to do this please send to supportinfo@telgen.co.uk.

Malcolm Green

Both problems persists - i also can not select the alternative spouse in the Kennedy file.
Therefore i send you the requested file. Please keep it confidential.
(02-Aug-2011, 06:55 AM)Mopok Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Both problems persists - i also can not select the alternative spouse in the Kennedy file.

Thank you for the file.

First the alternative spouse problem - this works correctly on both my Android phone and the Galaxy Tab emulator. Can I just check that there isn't a misunderstanding of how this should work? Taking the home couple in the Kennedy file as an example, the Family View shows that Jacqueline Bouvier had 2 husbands (§1 of 2). If you now tap and hold the button showing the name of the currently displayed husband, e.g. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, then after about 2 seconds you should see a "Select Husband" dialog from which to select an alternative husband. Please describe what you see when you do this.

The problem with accented characters in the index is caused by a limitation in the current implementation of SqLite on Android, which prevents successful case-insensitive matching of names containing accents in SQL searches, e.g. Büsch and BÜSCH do not match. We currently display the surname index in uppercase for consistency, but this causes a failure to match when the name in the file is not all in uppercase. We'll change the way the index is displayed so that it matches what is held in the file, which should resolve the problem. A side-effect of this is that if the file contains entries with both Büsch and BÜSCH, then two entries will be shown in the index, but hopefully this will be acceptable.

Malcolm Green
(03-Aug-2011, 11:41 AM)admin Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Thank you for the file.

First the alternative spouse problem - this works correctly on both my Android phone and the Galaxy Tab emulator. Can I just check that there isn't a misunderstanding of how this should work? Taking the home couple in the Kennedy file as an example, the Family View shows that Jacqueline Bouvier had 2 husbands (§1 of 2). If you now tap and hold the button showing the name of the currently displayed husband, e.g. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, then after about 2 seconds you should see a "Select Husband" dialog from which to select an alternative husband. Please describe what you see when you do this.

The problem with accented characters in the index is caused by a limitation in the current implementation of SqLite on Android, which prevents successful case-insensitive matching of names containing accents in SQL searches, e.g. Büsch and BÜSCH do not match. We currently display the surname index in uppercase for consistency, but this causes a failure to match when the name in the file is not all in uppercase. We'll change the way the index is displayed so that it matches what is held in the file, which should resolve the problem. A side-effect of this is that if the file contains entries with both Büsch and BÜSCH, then two entries will be shown in the index, but hopefully this will be acceptable.

Malcolm Green

Thanks! The first Problem with the alternativespouse was none, it was a problem of understanding, how it works. I always taped the informations in the box under the name of the individual - where the § 1 of 2 is shown Confused
Thank you for your information!

For the second Problem: I understand your explanation, but i do not follow you: In Families all surenames are in capital letters. When i tap on a name e.g. "BÜSCH" in the index, then nothing happens only the screen goes black and on the top of it is written "Büsch" in a blue title bar.
(03-Aug-2011, 01:09 PM)Mopok Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Thank you for the file.

Malcolm Green

Thanks! The first Problem with the alternativespouse was none, it was a problem of understanding, how it works. I always taped the informations in the box under the name of the individual - where the § 1 of 2 is shown Confused

For the second Problem: I understand your explanation, but i do not follow you: In Families all surenames are in capital letters. When i tap on a name e.g. "BÜSCH" in the index, then nothing happens only the screen goes black and on the top of it is written "Büsch" in a blue title bar.

Are you sure that all surnames are in capitals actually in the file, or do you have the option Show Surnames in uppercase letters set (in Customise>Data Format)?

Malcolm Green
(05-Aug-2011, 03:32 PM)admin Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Thank you for the file.

Malcolm Green

Are you sure that all surnames are in capitals actually in the file, or do you have the option Show Surnames in uppercase letters set (in Customise>Data Format)?

Malcolm Green

In the surenames the first letter is capital. In the index the whole name is in capital letters.

The option "Show Surnames in uppercase letters set" was set, but when i unmark this option, then nothing changes.

Another thing: In the Index are Names, which do no longer exists. How can i kill them?
(31-Aug-2011, 02:06 PM)Mopok Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Thank you for the file.

Malcolm Green

Malcolm Green

In the surenames the first letter is capital. In the index the whole name is in capital letters.

The option "Show Surnames in uppercase letters set" was set, but when i unmark this option, then nothing changes.

Another thing: In the Index are Names, which do no longer exists. How can i kill them?

The "Show Surnames in uppercase" option doesn't affect the index display - as I mentioned, this is currently always displayed in uppercase, but will be changed to display in the case as held in the file.

The help file contains the following explanation for names which do not exist: "Note that it is possible that no individuals will be displayed for a particular surname if they have been deleted, or had their name changed". This is a feature of how the Legacy database works - if you View>Master Lists>Surname in Legacy and click Show Lists you'll get the same result. You can delete such names in Legacy by clicking the Options button on the Master Surnames list.

Malcolm Green
(01-Sep-2011, 11:47 AM)malgre Wrote:
(31-Aug-2011, 02:06 PM)Mopok Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Thank you for the file.

Malcolm Green

Malcolm Green

The "Show Surnames in uppercase" option doesn't affect the index display - as I mentioned, this is currently always displayed in uppercase, but will be changed to display in the case as held in the file.

The help file contains the following explanation for names which do not exist: "Note that it is possible that no individuals will be displayed for a particular surname if they have been deleted, or had their name changed". This is a feature of how the Legacy database works - if you View>Master Lists>Surname in Legacy and click Show Lists you'll get the same result. You can delete such names in Legacy by clicking the Options button on the Master Surnames list.

Malcolm Green

Tanks für the explanation. But: In Legacy, there are not more non-existing names! Only in the index of Families.