Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Families General
Just found the Families program and am trying to see how it works. I am considering buying an iPAD or possible an iPhone for portable genealogical research. I am a complete novice when it comes to using a cell phone (don't even own one) and/or the iPAD; however, I am a long time Legacy user and would like some opinions on using Families on either/both of these products for portable researching. Anyone willing to share their experiences and how they work? My experiences in technobabble is nil, so please be generic - i.e., how does an iPhone work with Families - do I need a Wi-Fi connection and what are its costs, Does an iPad have to have the internet connection to work with Families. See- I really am techno-illiterate.Smile

Bob
(18-Aug-2010, 01:15 PM)Sgtbob Wrote: Just found the Families program and am trying to see how it works. I am considering buying an iPAD or possible an iPhone for portable genealogical research. I am a complete novice when it comes to using a cell phone (don't even own one) and/or the iPAD; however, I am a long time Legacy user and would like some opinions on using Families on either/both of these products for portable researching. Anyone willing to share their experiences and how they work? My experiences in technobabble is nil, so please be generic - i.e., how does an iPhone work with Families - do I need a Wi-Fi connection and what are its costs, Does an iPad have to have the internet connection to work with Families. See- I really am techno-illiterate.Smile

Bob

Alleluia! Thank you!! I have just installed the new version with the new USB sync option - on my PC (Windows based) and after 90 minutes of trial and error - IT WORKS!! I now have my very large Legacy file travelling with me on my iPhone - thank you again - I am very happy!
Sgtbob: I wrote this on another post - please be assured that it does work on my iPhone - download and install Families 1.0.2 and ALSO the new Families Sync 1.1.2 and it does allow Legacy syncing - WITHOUT WI-FI!!!! - how good is that - I have been waiting for this!... However you need to master your iPhone technology first - buying/installing/syncing apps is easy once you have mastered "Iphone 101" - good luck!
(31-Aug-2010, 11:07 AM)wyewye Wrote:
(18-Aug-2010, 01:15 PM)Sgtbob Wrote: Just found the Families program and am trying to see how it works. I am considering buying an iPAD or possible an iPhone for portable genealogical research. I am a complete novice when it comes to using a cell phone (don't even own one) and/or the iPAD; however, I am a long time Legacy user and would like some opinions on using Families on either/both of these products for portable researching. Anyone willing to share their experiences and how they work? My experiences in technobabble is nil, so please be generic - i.e., how does an iPhone work with Families - do I need a Wi-Fi connection and what are its costs, Does an iPad have to have the internet connection to work with Families. See- I really am techno-illiterate.Smile

Bob

Alleluia! Thank you!! I have just installed the new version with the new USB sync option - on my PC (Windows based) and after 90 minutes of trial and error - IT WORKS!! I now have my very large Legacy file travelling with me on my iPhone - thank you again - I am very happy!
Sgtbob: I wrote this on another post - please be assured that it does work on my iPhone - download and install Families 1.0.2 and ALSO the new Families Sync 1.1.2 and it does allow Legacy syncing - WITHOUT WI-FI!!!! - how good is that - I have been waiting for this!... However you need to master your iPhone technology first - buying/installing/syncing apps is easy once you have mastered "Iphone 101" - good luck!

Without WIFI are you sure, I have not found any app syncs that work without it and as I don't have it (yet)have had to refrain from syncing anything other than intunes.