Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
App dies on iPhone when adding relative
New user - am I missing something? Downloaded latest version of Families (17th Aug) to iPhone. Syncd my Legacy file with no problems - all seems well.
However, tried to create a new Family file on iPhone, just out of interest.
Created new file, with a single individual - OK. When I attemp to create a new spouse for this individual, Families application shuts down immediately - taking me to the IPhone app icon screen. Have tried turning the phone off and on again. No help. Any suggestions welcome.
(18-Aug-2010, 09:19 PM)linrob Wrote: New user - am I missing something? Downloaded latest version of Families (17th Aug) to iPhone. Syncd my Legacy file with no problems - all seems well.
However, tried to create a new Family file on iPhone, just out of interest.
Created new file, with a single individual - OK. When I attemp to create a new spouse for this individual, Families application shuts down immediately - taking me to the IPhone app icon screen. Have tried turning the phone off and on again. No help. Any suggestions welcome.

This obviously shouldn't happen and I've failed to reproduce it here. Is it repeatable?

Malcolm Green
(19-Aug-2010, 08:11 AM)malgre Wrote: [quote='linrob' pid='133' dateline='1282159183']

This obviously shouldn't happen and I've failed to reproduce it here. Is it repeatable?

Malcolm Green

Yes - happens every time I try to add a spouse, or parent. Immediately closes App. Will try syncing the test file to PC, and looking at it in Legacy.
Syncd test file to PC, and received message that file needed to be updated, as created with an older version of Legacy! Updated and looked OK. Added new relative, then syncd back to iPhone.
Same problem - trying to add new relative in Families, results in App shutdown as before
Query - is Familes fully compatible with older iPhones? Mine is first generation iPhone, running modem firmware 04.05.04_G, Model MB213B, Version 3.1.3 (7E18).
(19-Aug-2010, 11:55 AM)linrob Wrote:
(19-Aug-2010, 08:11 AM)malgre Wrote: [quote='linrob' pid='133' dateline='1282159183']

Malcolm Green

Yes - happens every time I try to add a spouse, or parent. Immediately closes App. Will try syncing the test file to PC, and looking at it in Legacy.
Syncd test file to PC, and received message that file needed to be updated, as created with an older version of Legacy! Updated and looked OK. Added new relative, then syncd back to iPhone.
Same problem - trying to add new relative in Families, results in App shutdown as before
Query - is Familes fully compatible with older iPhones? Mine is first generation iPhone, running modem firmware 04.05.04_G, Model MB213B, Version 3.1.3 (7E18).

When Families creates a new family file, it's created as a Legacy 7.0 file rather than 7.4, so that it can be read by Legacy 7.0 upwards. If you're using Legacy 7.4, that explains why the file needed to be updated when you transferred it - that shouldn't be a problem.

Can you send me the file you've created (to supportinfo@telgen.co.uk) so that I can see if your problem occurs here?

Families should work OK on your phone - it supports iPhone OS version 3.1 and above.

Malcolm
I have the same issue as 'linrob'. I tried to add a marriage partner to an existing person and was kicked back to the main iTouch screen.
I have a similar problem in that the app shuts down when I try to add a picture. When I go back into the app it allows me to attach pictures.
(23-Aug-2010, 04:57 PM)pc4747 Wrote: I have the same issue as 'linrob'. I tried to add a marriage partner to an existing person and was kicked back to the main iTouch screen.

There was a fix in the latest version of Families Sync which may be relevant to this. Can you try transferring your family file again to the iTouch then repeating the operation.

Malcolm Green
(24-Aug-2010, 05:00 AM)Chuck Morton Wrote: I have a similar problem in that the app shuts down when I try to add a picture. When I go back into the app it allows me to attach pictures.

Did this just happen once or is it repeatable?

Malcolm Green
(24-Aug-2010, 08:33 AM)malgre Wrote:
(24-Aug-2010, 05:00 AM)Chuck Morton Wrote: I have a similar problem in that the app shuts down when I try to add a picture. When I go back into the app it allows me to attach pictures.

Malcolm Green

It happens each time I go to make subsequent photo additions to the same individual or to other individuals. The only way it does not shut down is if I totally closedown the app and go back into it. I have repeated this process as many as 20 times.

Other than this one glitch you have developed a wonderful app. I love it.
(25-Aug-2010, 03:58 AM)Chuck Morton Wrote:
(24-Aug-2010, 08:33 AM)malgre Wrote:

Malcolm Green

It happens each time I go to make subsequent photo additions to the same individual or to other individuals. The only way it does not shut down is if I totally closedown the app and go back into it. I have repeated this process as many as 20 times.

Other than this one glitch you have developed a wonderful app. I love it.

This obviously should not happen, so I'd like to try to find the cause. What is your device type (iPhone, iPad etc) and what version of the OS is it running (Settings>General>About>Version)? Can you try the following:
- Add a photo so that the app crashes.
- Restart the app and go to the Sync screen.
- Using Internet Explorer or other browser on your PC, browse to the address shown on the Sync screen, excluding the ":5050", but followed by "/exceptions.xml" (e.g. 192.168.0.23/exceptions.xml).
- If the address was found, save the resulting output (File>Save Page As).
- Repeat but with "/savetrace.txt".
Please send me the results of the above.

Malcolm Green