Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropbox & Families
Hey all,

I'm hopeful to purchase this app shortly. However I had a quick query before hand.
Can the app import/access my legacy file from Dropbox via my iPad to reduce the amount of wifi/iTunes interaction?

That would be really really handy! My file would be always up to date!

Rgds,
J.
(29-Oct-2011, 03:22 PM)Irishhooligan Wrote: Hey all,

I'm hopeful to purchase this app shortly. However I had a quick query before hand.
Can the app import/access my legacy file from Dropbox via my iPad to reduce the amount of wifi/iTunes interaction?

That would be really really handy! My file would be always up to date!

Rgds,
J.

It's not as simple as that. The Legacy File has to be converted to SQLite format for use on the iPad so you need to run Families Sync on the PC to perform the conversion then transfer the file either via Wi-Fi or iTunes. We don't currently support transfer via DropBox - this would generally be slower than Wi-Fi unless you have a very fast broadband connection.

Malcolm Green
I have just purhcased this app for use on an IPAD. I, too, would like to synch everything via Dropbox. However, given that this is not a choice, if my Legacy file on my desktop computer is located in the Dropbox folder and then "synched" to the IPAD, any changes made and then synched back to the desktop overwriting the Legacy file in the Dropbox folder, would it not accomplish the same thing???
The overwritten Legacy file in the Dropbox folder would then be synched in the ususal Dropbox fashion with my laptop computer. Is this correct???

It appears that when any changes are made to the desktop file, it would need to be resynched to the IPAD rather than being automatic like it is through Dropbox. When changes are made on the IPAD Legacy file, it would need to be resynched to the desktop overwritting the Legacy file in the Dropbox folder. Am I correct in my thinking on this????

Thank you,
Roger Grua
(29-Dec-2011, 07:50 PM)rgrua Wrote: I have just purhcased this app for use on an IPAD. I, too, would like to synch everything via Dropbox. However, given that this is not a choice, if my Legacy file on my desktop computer is located in the Dropbox folder and then "synched" to the IPAD, any changes made and then synched back to the desktop overwriting the Legacy file in the Dropbox folder, would it not accomplish the same thing???
The overwritten Legacy file in the Dropbox folder would then be synched in the ususal Dropbox fashion with my laptop computer. Is this correct???

It appears that when any changes are made to the desktop file, it would need to be resynched to the IPAD rather than being automatic like it is through Dropbox. When changes are made on the IPAD Legacy file, it would need to be resynched to the desktop overwritting the Legacy file in the Dropbox folder. Am I correct in my thinking on this????

Thank you,
Roger Grua

Your thinking is correct.

Malcolm Green
On my Android Tablet with Dropbox how can I tell if the Legacy DB file is synched with the windows Legacy DB file before I boot up the Families application. I am upgrading to Legacy 7.5 are there any Families issues with the new version?
(01-Jan-2012, 04:46 AM)mhelmant Wrote: On my Android Tablet with Dropbox how can I tell if the Legacy DB file is synched with the windows Legacy DB file before I boot up the Families application. I am upgrading to Legacy 7.5 are there any Families issues with the new version?

There is no purpose in syncing the Legacy DB file (.fdb) on the tablet. The file has to be converted to SQLite format using Families Sync on the PC before transferring it to the tablet.

Families works fine with Legacy 7.5.

Malcolm Green