Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master Location
I often have a chance to visit a library that has many county histories, and to local genealogy society facilities. It would be nice to be able to use my iPad 2 and Families to determine who has been born, married, died, or had an event in a specific locale in order to look for their names in such resources that might be available.
Looking for a way to create reports from the Master Location List of "People Using this location"

When I visit libraries I use this function in Legacy the most. The report gives me a hint of who to search for in what State and county, etc.

Would like to be able to change order of master location, starting with Country, State, County etc.

Appreciate any assistance.
I intend to add this functionality to a future version of Families. My proposed approach would be to add this as a new Search option, displaying the Master Location List, with A..Z index down the right side. When an entry is selected, a second screen would be shown listing the people using the selected location. Selecting one of these would make the selected person the "current" person, shown in the Family View or other view from which search was selected.

A sort button at the bottom of the Master Location List screen would display a list of sort settings enabling the list to be sorted in various ways, similar to the Sort Location List dialog in Legacy. I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to the range of sort options which should be included here, i.e. whether all the Legacy options are required or whether we can simplify the options.

Finally I'd be interested in feedback on whether we should consider adding other search options similar to those shown in Legacy's Search>Find... menu option, i.e. Query by Example, Detailed Search etc.

Malcolm Green
(10-Nov-2011, 03:55 PM)Laney Wrote: Looking for a way to create reports from the Master Location List of "People Using this location"

When I visit libraries I use this function in Legacy the most. The report gives me a hint of who to search for in what State and county, etc.

Would like to be able to change order of master location, starting with Country, State, County etc.

Appreciate any assistance.

1.5.0 includes the ability to search by location, and to change the location sort order.

Malcolm Green