Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to set base folder for external sdcard
Sad 
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210). It has both internal storage and a SD card. Families is using the internal storage, but I want to use the SD card. I've attempted to change the base folder but Families Settings tells me the folder "cannot be accessed" and won't accept my entry.

I had created a families folder on the card, and had successfully used Families Sync to manually put my main Legacy file onto the card, but in hopes of getting Families Settings to accept the path, I formatted the card. Families Settings still won't accept the path. The path I'm trying to enter, based on "My Files" which came installed on the tablet is:
/mnt/sdcard/extStorages/SdCard

I can transfer the file wirelessly into the internal storage, but I'd prefer to use the SD Card rather than use up the limited memory.

FYI, I'm pretty computer literate, but not at all tablet literate. This device is fairly new, so I'm still struggling to learn how to use it. Thanks for any suggestions!
Helen
(15-Apr-2012, 01:05 AM)catsmeow Wrote: I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210). It has both internal storage and a SD card. Families is using the internal storage, but I want to use the SD card. I've attempted to change the base folder but Families Settings tells me the folder "cannot be accessed" and won't accept my entry.

I had created a families folder on the card, and had successfully used Families Sync to manually put my main Legacy file onto the card, but in hopes of getting Families Settings to accept the path, I formatted the card. Families Settings still won't accept the path. The path I'm trying to enter, based on "My Files" which came installed on the tablet is:

I can transfer the file wirelessly into the internal storage, but I'd prefer to use the SD Card rather than use up the limited memory.

FYI, I'm pretty computer literate, but not at all tablet literate. This device is fairly new, so I'm still struggling to learn how to use it. Thanks for any suggestions!
Helen

Can you try setting Base Folder to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. I know this works for other Samsung Galaxy models.

Malcolm Green
(15-Apr-2012, 09:37 AM)malgre Wrote:
(15-Apr-2012, 01:05 AM)catsmeow Wrote: I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210). It has both internal storage and a SD card. Families is using the internal storage, but I want to use the SD card. I've attempted to change the base folder but Families Settings tells me the folder "cannot be accessed" and won't accept my entry.

Helen

Can you try setting Base Folder to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. I know this works for other Samsung Galaxy models.

Malcolm Green

Malcolm -- I tried the path you suggested, and got the message that the folder "does not exist." And, I realized I'd mis-spoken originally; the path I first used was as shown in Astro, which I installed per your suggestion. I had not yet tried the path as shown in the factory installed "My Files" which shows the path as /Root/extStorages, but when I try it I get the same "folder does not exist" message.

When I use the path I originally tried, but without the trailing "/SdCard"
I again get the "cannot be accessed" message. I believe it is recognizing the path but possibly lacks some type of permissions? I don't know if Android is case sensitive, but just in case it is, I've been careful to use the upper case letters as they were shown in the file managers.

Any more ideas?
Helen
PS I was online for your Families webinar this past week and it really helped me. I installed Families after watching your presentation.
(15-Apr-2012, 05:08 PM)catsmeow Wrote:
(15-Apr-2012, 09:37 AM)malgre Wrote:

Helen

Malcolm Green

Malcolm -- I tried the path you suggested, and got the message that the folder "does not exist." And, I realized I'd mis-spoken originally; the path I first used was as shown in Astro, which I installed per your suggestion. I had not yet tried the path as shown in the factory installed "My Files" which shows the path as /Root/extStorages, but when I try it I get the same "folder does not exist" message.

When I use the path I originally tried, but without the trailing "/SdCard"
I again get the "cannot be accessed" message. I believe it is recognizing the path but possibly lacks some type of permissions? I don't know if Android is case sensitive, but just in case it is, I've been careful to use the upper case letters as they were shown in the file managers.

Any more ideas?
Helen
PS I was online for your Families webinar this past week and it really helped me. I installed Families after watching your presentation.

I think I know the answer and it isn't good news. Per a Galaxy Tab Forum that I found, the 7Plus model that I have is "currently" unable to use the sd card for applications or for application storage. Apparently it can only use the card for music, photos, and videos.

You may want to add that info to your list of tablets -- the tablet, again, is the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210). At this time it CANNOT be used for the database storage. I do plan to confirm this info via a call to Samsung support, and if I learn anything different I'll post it here.
Helen

[/quote]

I think I know the answer and it isn't good news. Per a Galaxy Tab Forum that I found, the 7Plus model that I have is "currently" unable to use the sd card for applications or for application storage. Apparently it can only use the card for music, photos, and videos.

You may want to add that info to your list of tablets -- the tablet, again, is the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210). At this time it CANNOT be used for the database storage. I do plan to confirm this info via a call to Samsung support, and if I learn anything different I'll post it here.
Helen

[/quote]

Malcolm,
I'm still researching use of the sd card on my tablet. The OS is Honeycomb 3.2 which is apparently somewhat different in its use of the sdcard from earlier Android operating systems. This statement from a user forum may give a clue to the solution of my problem. If I interpret this correctly, it would require a Families software change to enable writing to the external card:
"Android Honeycomb 3.2, The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission.
Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...
meaning they only have read access to the card."

Does this mean anything to you, Malcolm? Does it possibly sound like something that may have a simple fix?
Helen

Helen

[/quote]

Malcolm,
I'm still researching use of the sd card on my tablet. The OS is Honeycomb 3.2 which is apparently somewhat different in its use of the sdcard from earlier Android operating systems. This statement from a user forum may give a clue to the solution of my problem. If I interpret this correctly, it would require a Families software change to enable writing to the external card:
"Android Honeycomb 3.2, The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission.
Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...

Does this mean anything to you, Malcolm? Does it possibly sound like something that may have a simple fix?
Helen

[/quote]

You've certainly identified the problem correctly, but unfortunately the solution doesn't seem as simple as adding the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. This link describes the situation quite well but suggests that this new permission will only actually be granted to system apps. This link is by a user who declared this permission in an app and confirmed that it did not have the desired effect.

There's a suggested fix for the problem at the end of this link involving reformatting the card, that you might wish to try. Other than that, I can't believe that this problem can continue for long without a resolution, given the large number of unhappy users who've posted about it.

Malcolm
(17-Apr-2012, 09:14 AM)malgre Wrote:
(16-Apr-2012, 08:57 PM)catsmeow Wrote:

Helen

Malcolm,

Helen

[/quote]

You've certainly identified the problem correctly, but unfortunately the solution doesn't seem as simple as adding the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. This link describes the situation quite well but suggests that this new permission will only actually be granted to system apps. This link is by a user who declared this permission in an app and confirmed that it did not have the desired effect.

There's a suggested fix for the problem at the end of this link involving reformatting the card, that you might wish to try. Other than that, I can't believe that this problem can continue for long without a resolution, given the large number of unhappy users who've posted about it.

Malcolm

[/quote]

Thanks, Malcolm. So, it's an Android problem that spans manufacturers! I think I'll just wait it out. My tablet is pretty new, so I still have plenty of internal storage available. The shame is, I invested in the 32G card expecting to be able to load that card up with lots of apps. I'm not one who'll likely be doing much with music, photos, or videos.

If and when there is a fix from Google/Samsung, would changing the base folder location cause the families software to create a families folder on the card? Or, would I create the families folder myself?
Helen
(17-Apr-2012, 03:54 PM)catsmeow Wrote:
(17-Apr-2012, 09:14 AM)malgre Wrote:
(16-Apr-2012, 08:57 PM)catsmeow Wrote:

Helen

Malcolm,

Helen

Malcolm

[/quote]

Thanks, Malcolm. So, it's an Android problem that spans manufacturers! I think I'll just wait it out. My tablet is pretty new, so I still have plenty of internal storage available. The shame is, I invested in the 32G card expecting to be able to load that card up with lots of apps. I'm not one who'll likely be doing much with music, photos, or videos.

If and when there is a fix from Google/Samsung, would changing the base folder location cause the families software to create a families folder on the card? Or, would I create the families folder myself?
Helen
[/quote]

Families will create the folder if it does not exist, and will also copy the sample Kennedy file to it.
I'll add the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission in the next version so that it is there if it's required as part of the solution to this problem.

Malcolm