Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nexus 7 problem
Got a new Nexus 7 and the program is having issues, likely due to the DPI size. Stock Jelly Bean setup, but the data screens are "blank". (That includes the Kennedy file as well) The spots for name are grey, only dob has data that can be read. Photos also show up, but every other field is "empty". This is in both portrait and landscape.

If I touch the grey fields, the screens underneath pop up and yes, those can be read in both portrait and landscape mode.
(21-Jul-2012, 11:10 PM)jmcging Wrote: Got a new Nexus 7 and the program is having issues, likely due to the DPI size. Stock Jelly Bean setup, but the data screens are "blank". (That includes the Kennedy file as well) The spots for name are grey, only dob has data that can be read. Photos also show up, but every other field is "empty". This is in both portrait and landscape.

If I touch the grey fields, the screens underneath pop up and yes, those can be read in both portrait and landscape mode.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I’ve located the problem which is caused by a slight change in behaviour in Android 4.1. It will be fixed in the next version which should be available shortly.

Malcolm Green
Pleased that the problem has been identified and will be dealt with. It's a sweet tablet, handy to have the data in hand when doing research Smile
I am also having a problem with Nexus 7 - I can't work out where to paste my .sqlite files.
Windows can see the tablet and lists 10 folders under the root "Internal storage" but cannot creats a new folder. Also Windows Explorer search cannot find the Kennedy.sqlite sample file.
The Families App can open the Kennedy file and says that its base folder is/storage/sdcard0 which does not appear in the Windows Explorer folder tree. I have tried pasting into the root folder and into /android/data but the Families app doesn't see my file.
Finally I have searched the Nexus Guidebook for "folder" with no result.
Can anyone help please ?
(09-Nov-2012, 06:27 PM)jclifford Wrote: I am also having a problem with Nexus 7 - I can't work out where to paste my .sqlite files.
Windows can see the tablet and lists 10 folders under the root "Internal storage" but cannot creats a new folder. Also Windows Explorer search cannot find the Kennedy.sqlite sample file.
The Families App can open the Kennedy file and says that its base folder is/storage/sdcard0 which does not appear in the Windows Explorer folder tree. I have tried pasting into the root folder and into /android/data but the Families app doesn't see my file.
Finally I have searched the Nexus Guidebook for "folder" with no result.
Can anyone help please ?

I'm not sure why you're having a problem. I have a Nexus 7 and Families works fine without needing to change the base folder etc. The default BaseFolder value of /storage/sdcard0 is correct. When you connect to Windows this is shown as Internal storage and within this you should see the Families folder and within that your sqlite files including the Kennedy file. You shouldn't need to "paste" files into the folder - with both WiFi and USB transfer, Families Sync transfers the file to the Families folder.

Malcolm Green
I am using Win 7 and Windows Explorer shows the following folders when the nexus is connected via MTP (even though I know the Kennedy file is there somewhere) - Alarms, Android, DCIM,Download, Movies, Music, Notifications, Pictures, Podcasts, Ringtones. It also shows the sqlite file which I have pasted to the root folder. Could the Families App have created a private/hidden folder of some kind?
(09-Nov-2012, 08:27 PM)jclifford Wrote: I am using Win 7 and Windows Explorer shows the following folders when the nexus is connected via MTP (even though I know the Kennedy file is there somewhere) - Alarms, Android, DCIM,Download, Movies, Music, Notifications, Pictures, Podcasts, Ringtones. It also shows the sqlite file which I have pasted to the root folder. Could the Families App have created a private/hidden folder of some kind?

That's unlikely. Please try the following:
- go to Settings>Apps>Families
- tap "Clear data"
- tap Uninstall and confirm the uninstallation
- reinstall from Google Play
- run Families and confirm that Kennedy File is listed
- connect to Windows and confirm whether Families folder is shown

Malcolm Green
I tried uninstalling without success; I also tried using a different USB cable.
But I have now solved the problem - I can transfer my sqlite file succesfully by wifi (although Windows cannot see the Nexus on my home network).
I didn't try this before because the Families website home page still says that you have to use a USB connection with Android devices - you might want to change that.
I have the Nexus 7 tablet which I am learning and I have the same problem as jclifford above. I did finally find out that the Kennedy file is located in the base folder /storage/emulated/0. I gave up on the USB transfer and tried the Wi-Fi transfer. I was successful for one of my database transfer and it seems to be working correctly. I have two others I wanted to also add and now I'm unable to do so. Now when I try to do the wi-fi transfer, I get this error message "unable to connect to remote server" and I'm stumped. I am no techie. In the windows explorer, my Nexus 7 shows up as a "telephone".
(10-Jan-2013, 06:57 PM)khugo Wrote: I have the Nexus 7 tablet which I am learning and I have the same problem as jclifford above. I did finally find out that the Kennedy file is located in the base folder /storage/emulated/0. I gave up on the USB transfer and tried the Wi-Fi transfer. I was successful for one of my database transfer and it seems to be working correctly. I have two others I wanted to also add and now I'm unable to do so. Now when I try to do the wi-fi transfer, I get this error message "unable to connect to remote server" and I'm stumped. I am no techie. In the windows explorer, my Nexus 7 shows up as a "telephone".

The error with wi-fi transfer suggests a problem with your wifi connection. Try connecting to the IP address shown on the Sync screen using a browser - if this also fails then the problem is with the network rather than Families. Re the USB connection, check that the Nexus 7 is set to use an MTP connection (Settings>Storage menu option USB computer connection).

Malcolm Green