Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iTunes warning for Android device
I just updated to the latest Families sync, and I'm getting a warning that Bonjour / iTunes is not installed (see attached). Since my device is an Android I don't get why I'm getting a message designed for Apple devices.

P.S. Thanks for fixing the display problems for Android tablets, it's looking good now on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(31-Aug-2012, 05:13 PM)frode Wrote: I just updated to the latest Families sync, and I'm getting a warning that Bonjour / iTunes is not installed (see attached). Since my device is an Android I don't get why I'm getting a message designed for Apple devices.

P.S. Thanks for fixing the display problems for Android tablets, it's looking good now on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7".

If you read the help section "Transferring Family Files" you'll see that Bonjour is used to enable Families Sync to detect when an Android device is ready to sync using WiFi. The easiest way to obtain Bonjour is to install iTunes. It is not essential, but if using WiFi sync and it's not installed you'll need to enter the Android device's address manually using the "Locate Device by Address" button. Of course, if you use USB transfer then it's not an issue.

Malcolm Green
Ok, guess I haven't paid enough attention to the help file. I've installed iTunes and Wi-fi sync now finds my device "automagically". Thanks.
Please excuse the pushing of this thread ... I just want to suggest to add a preliminary check for the Bonjour service. I had just bought Families for Android and installed the sync tool, it didn't start up at first. It shows up in the task manager, but nothing else happens. Eventually after some minutes (between 1 and 3 minutes, record is 7 minutes) the mentioned warning message appears. Please add the ability to switch off this "feature" or test if the bonjour service is available at all. I won't install bloatware because some tiny tool can't do a simple network ping.