Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sync an updated file from ipad to existing old file on PC
I am a genealogist and hope to save time when in the archives by entering information directly into the families program, then transferring back and updating the original file on my PC:
I have no problem with transferring files via wifi FROM the computer to the ipad. However I cannot get the updated file back into Legacy.
I keep my Legacy files in Dropbox. It seems to work, I get all the right messages, writing the file etc. but when I open the file in Legacy it is still the original one, even though I click on Transfer from phone file. The file looks big enough but the information isn't there.
What am I doing wrong?
Tatanna
angelresearch.wordpress.com
(09-Jan-2013, 07:03 PM)Tatanna Wrote: I am a genealogist and hope to save time when in the archives by entering information directly into the families program, then transferring back and updating the original file on my PC:
I have no problem with transferring files via wifi FROM the computer to the ipad. However I cannot get the updated file back into Legacy.
I keep my Legacy files in Dropbox. It seems to work, I get all the right messages, writing the file etc. but when I open the file in Legacy it is still the original one, even though I click on Transfer from phone file. The file looks big enough but the information isn't there.
What am I doing wrong?
Tatanna

When you select the option to transfer a file from the iPad, a file selection dialog is displayed to allow you to select the folder and the filename for the Legacy FDB file. By default this will be in the Families subfolder within your Documents folder and will have the name of the original file with the suffix " from phone". Both of these defaults can be changed using Options>Settings. You probably need to change the destination folder to your Dropbox folder. If you want the file to overwrite the original one you can set the suffix to an empty string - but please ensure that you have backed up your original file before overwriting it.

Malcolm Green
(10-Jan-2013, 12:42 AM)malgre Wrote:
(09-Jan-2013, 07:03 PM)Tatanna Wrote: I am a genealogist and hope to save time when in the archives by entering information directly into the families program, then transferring back and updating the original file on my PC:
What am I doing wrong?
Tatanna

When you select the option to transfer a file from the iPad, a file selection dialog is displayed to allow you to select the folder and the filename for the Legacy FDB file. By default this will be in the Families subfolder within your Documents folder and will have the name of the original file with the suffix " from phone". Both of these defaults can be changed using Options>Settings. You probably need to change the destination folder to your Dropbox folder. If you want the file to overwrite the original one you can set the suffix to an empty string - but please ensure that you have backed up your original file before overwriting it.

Malcolm Green

Thanks, finally figured it out.