Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iTunes?
I have Legacy on my PC laptop and I have had the Families app on my iPad2 for several months, however have not completed the installation for syncing the two programs because I stop at a specific point. Confused

Please explain to me, why I need iTunes on my iPad to run Families.

I do not use iTunes on my laptop and don't intend to.
I have not activated iTunes on my iPad as I have no plans to use it because of space issues.

(I have iTunes on my iMac that syncs with my iPod working separately and don’t need to involve my laptop or iPad)

My iPad is username/password is synced with my iMac so if I activate iTunes on the iPad it will load everything from my iTunes account which is what I don't want.
(28-Jan-2013, 09:43 PM)Jude Wrote: I have Legacy on my PC laptop and I have had the Families app on my iPad2 for several months, however have not completed the installation for syncing the two programs because I stop at a specific point. Confused

Please explain to me, why I need iTunes on my iPad to run Families.

I do not use iTunes on my laptop and don't intend to.
I have not activated iTunes on my iPad as I have no plans to use it because of space issues.

(I have iTunes on my iMac that syncs with my iPod working separately and don’t need to involve my laptop or iPad)

My iPad is username/password is synced with my iMac so if I activate iTunes on the iPad it will load everything from my iTunes account which is what I don't want.

The requirement for iTunes depends on which method you use to transfer files. If you use USB then iTunes is essential, as this is the only way to transfer files via USB. If you use Wi-Fi then Families uses a mechanism called Bonjour to detect when your device is ready to sync so that you don't need to manually enter its address. Bonjour is installed as part of iTunes, and there is no independent installation, hence the recommendation to install iTunes. If it's not installed, Families Sync will still work but you'll need to manually enter your device's address each time you want to sync. I hope that clarifies the situation.

Malcolm Green
[/quote]
If it's not installed, Families Sync will still work but you'll need to manually enter your device's address each time you want to sync. I hope that clarifies the situation.

Malcolm Green
[/quote]

Thank you for your response Malcolm. Thanks for deleting my other post as well.

My iPad does not have a USB port so can't do a transfer that way. If I can, I don't understand how.
I have WiFi.

Regarding the "device's address" you quote. Does that mean when syncing, from the iPad, I will be asked to identify my Laptop? And when syncing from the laptop, I will be asked to identify the name of my iPad? If not, where would I find the address?

I will go back to the installation instructions and walk through webinar and see what the next step is after skipping the iTunes part. I'm not a knowledgeable techy person, so may be back for more help.

If I can't get past the iTunes part, can I just download iTunes to my laptop, under a new account name and not add songs to the library?

If it's not installed, Families Sync will still work but you'll need to manually enter your device's address each time you want to sync. I hope that clarifies the situation.

Malcolm Green
[/quote]

Thank you for your response Malcolm. Thanks for deleting my other post as well.

My iPad does not have a USB port so can't do a transfer that way. If I can, I don't understand how.
I have WiFi.

Regarding the "device's address" you quote. Does that mean when syncing, from the iPad, I will be asked to identify my Laptop? And when syncing from the laptop, I will be asked to identify the name of my iPad? If not, where would I find the address?

I will go back to the installation instructions and walk through webinar and see what the next step is after skipping the iTunes part. I'm not a knowledgeable techy person, so may be back for more help.

If I can't get past the iTunes part, can I just download iTunes to my laptop, under a new account name and not add songs to the library?

[/quote]

Your iPad should have come with a USB cable which allows it to connect to the PC. iTunes File Sharing, under the Apps tab, can then be used to transfer files.

The address mentioned is displayed on the iPad when you tap the Sync button in the Families app - you then enter this in the appropriate field in Families Sync.

You can use iTunes without syncing music etc to the device (you don't need to use a different account).

I suggest you look at the "How To" pages on http://www.telgen.co.uk/families where the process of transferring files to your device is described, with screenshots.

Malcolm Green
Thank you Malcolm! I will muddle through. I'm determined to make this work.