Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixed information in sources
When I look at the sources in my individual record I often see information related to another source in the detail field. For example, here is a sample record..
Event
Name
Master Source
1951 Census
Detail
birth certificate for Joe Blow, born 1 Jan 1928; citing 08B/1200/4, March 1928, Camden RD
Surety Level
3. Almost certain conclusion
Recorded Date

File ID

Source Text
Person: SMITH, Fred
Address: 8, Smith St, Smithville
Source Notes
Pictures

The detail field containing birth certificate details for Joe Blow should not be there and is not there in the record held in the Legacy database on my PC. It belongs to another individual on another branch of the tree with no connection to Fred Smith.

I cannot see how that information got into the source. It is not contained in the master source or the citation itself. I have done a repair on the legacy file on my PC and synched it again, but the errors still persist

I am running the latest version of Legacy on Win XP SP3. I am running Families on an IPad 3 with latest OS update and iPhone 5. I synch via iTunes.

Grateful for any help

Simon

(24-Mar-2013, 04:46 AM)SimB Wrote: When I look at the sources in my individual record I often see information related to another source in the detail field. For example, here is a sample record..
Event
Name
Master Source
1951 Census
Detail
birth certificate for Joe Blow, born 1 Jan 1928; citing 08B/1200/4, March 1928, Camden RD
Surety Level
Recorded Date

File ID

Source Text
Source Notes
Pictures

The detail field containing birth certificate details for Joe Blow should not be there and is not there in the record held in the Legacy database on my PC. It belongs to another individual on another branch of the tree with no connection to Fred Smith.

I cannot see how that information got into the source. It is not contained in the master source or the citation itself. I have done a repair on the legacy file on my PC and synched it again, but the errors still persist

I am running the latest version of Legacy on Win XP SP3. I am running Families on an IPad 3 with latest OS update and iPhone 5. I synch via iTunes.

Grateful for any help

Simon

I think the problem is one that another user highlighted recently, which turned out to be a bug in Legacy. I assume you are using SourceWriter sources, while Families uses the “standard” source fields, which should correspond directly to the SourceWriter ones. However, a previous version of Legacy contained a bug which resulted in these non-SourceWriter fields being left with stale information. Millennia have fixed the bug, and I was told that they were going to add code to File Maintenance>Check/Repair to fix the problem in existing files. It seems that this may not be true as you're using the latest Legacy version. Fortunately there is a workaround to fix the problem: export your Legacy file to GEDCOM (then just delete the GEDCOM file). This process regenerates the standard source fields. Then transfer the file again to Families and the problem should be fixed. Let us know if not.

Malcolm Green
(25-Mar-2013, 09:15 AM)malgre Wrote:
(24-Mar-2013, 04:46 AM)SimB Wrote: When I look at the sources in my individual record I often see information related to another source in the detail field. For example, here is a sample record..
Event
Name
Master Source
1951 Census
Detail
Surety Level
Recorded Date

File ID

Source Text
Source Notes
Pictures

Grateful for any help

Simon

I think the problem is one that another user highlighted recently, which turned out to be a bug in Legacy. I assume you are using SourceWriter sources, while Families uses the “standard” source fields, which should correspond directly to the SourceWriter ones. However, a previous version of Legacy contained a bug which resulted in these non-SourceWriter fields being left with stale information. Millennia have fixed the bug, and I was told that they were going to add code to File Maintenance>Check/Repair to fix the problem in existing files. It seems that this may not be true as you're using the latest Legacy version. Fortunately there is a workaround to fix the problem: export your Legacy file to GEDCOM (then just delete the GEDCOM file). This process regenerates the standard source fields. Then transfer the file again to Families and the problem should be fixed. Let us know if not.

Malcolm Green

Thanks so much,

Yes I am using SourceWriter, and the workround did fix the problem.

Simon