Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error message when installing Families to Galaxy Tab 3
I can't seem to get as far as the others in this forum. I am stymied in the initial install. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab(let) 3 with a 32Gb SDHC card. It is currently connected to my PC with a USB cable. I purchased Families on the Google Play Store. When I attempt to install the software to the tablet I receive the error message, "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card." I also tried to install the product from the Google Store with my PC and directed the install to my tablet as a device and it says that the software is installed. Any ideas to get me off on the right foot. I intend to use this product with Legacy 7.5. After the original sync, I will be transferring rarely and intend to use the data primarily as an aid to help when navigating to places related to our family history.
(14-Nov-2013, 06:25 PM)Tom White Wrote: I can't seem to get as far as the others in this forum. I am stymied in the initial install. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab(let) 3 with a 32Gb SDHC card. It is currently connected to my PC with a USB cable. I purchased Families on the Google Play Store. When I attempt to install the software to the tablet I receive the error message, "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card." I also tried to install the product from the Google Store with my PC and directed the install to my tablet as a device and it says that the software is installed. Any ideas to get me off on the right foot. I intend to use this product with Legacy 7.5. After the original sync, I will be transferring rarely and intend to use the data primarily as an aid to help when navigating to places related to our family history.

I'm unclear about how you're trying to install the app. Normally when you purchase from Google Play Store, the installation follows automatically so you shouldn't need to do anything else. You certainly don't need to get the PC involved. Have you tried installing any other app, e.g. one of the free ones, to check that installation from Play Store is working normally?

Malcolm Green
(14-Nov-2013, 06:41 PM)malgre Wrote:
(14-Nov-2013, 06:25 PM)Tom White Wrote: I can't seem to get as far as the others in this forum. I am stymied in the initial install. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab(let) 3 with a 32Gb SDHC card. It is currently connected to my PC with a USB cable. I purchased Families on the Google Play Store. When I attempt to install the software to the tablet I receive the error message, "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card." I also tried to install the product from the Google Store with my PC and directed the install to my tablet as a device and it says that the software is installed. Any ideas to get me off on the right foot. I intend to use this product with Legacy 7.5. After the original sync, I will be transferring rarely and intend to use the data primarily as an aid to help when navigating to places related to our family history.

I'm unclear about how you're trying to install the app. Normally when you purchase from Google Play Store, the installation follows automatically so you shouldn't need to do anything else. You certainly don't need to get the PC involved. Have you tried installing any other app, e.g. one of the free ones, to check that installation from Play Store is working normally?

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that the installation should be seamless and apologize if I was not clear. When I purchased the software from the Google store, the installation began normally but failed with the error message quoted above. Although I did not NEED to get the PC involved, I did so only as a test to determine whether the native installation software was flawed. I have installed quite a few apps directly on my tablet from the Play Store without incident. This is the only case in which the installation did not complete automatically. BTW, just to be more clear, I can navigate back to the Families software in the Google store anytime and it allows me to re-install at will indicating that the purchase was processed completely. But the install fails with the same message that appeared with the initial purchase.
(14-Nov-2013, 07:59 PM)Tom White Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that the installation should be seamless and apologize if I was not clear. When I purchased the software from the Google store, the installation began normally but failed with the error message quoted above. Although I did not NEED to get the PC involved, I did so only as a test to determine whether the native installation software was flawed. I have installed quite a few apps directly on my tablet from the Play Store without incident. This is the only case in which the installation did not complete automatically. BTW, just to be more clear, I can navigate back to the Families software in the Google store anytime and it allows me to re-install at will indicating that the purchase was processed completely. But the install fails with the same message that appeared with the initial purchase.

HI (again) Malcolm,

More bad news for me. I also have a Samsung S4Active phone so I installed Families there and it installed without a hitch so the error is device dependent, not application dependent. Now I'll have to research what went wrong with the tablet. Mumbke,munble,mumble...............
(15-Nov-2013, 04:29 AM)Tom White Wrote:
(14-Nov-2013, 07:59 PM)Tom White Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,

HI (again) Malcolm,

More bad news for me. I also have a Samsung S4Active phone so I installed Families there and it installed without a hitch so the error is device dependent, not application dependent. Now I'll have to research what went wrong with the tablet. Mumbke,munble,mumble...............

Google "android Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card" and you'll see umpteen instances of this error, with various suggestions for fixing it. It's definitely not a problem with the app.

Malcolm Green