Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Families Sync/Nexus 7 Tablet
I have installed Families Sync on my PC & it opens, however, when I downloaded the sync on to my Nexus 7 Tablet I get a message stating "Can't open file".
I have tried several times to open it but to no avail.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem as at the moment I am unable to sync my Legacy 8 files across from my PC to Nexus?
(05-Jan-2014, 05:11 PM)Rod Wrote: I have installed Families Sync on my PC & it opens, however, when I downloaded the sync on to my Nexus 7 Tablet I get a message stating "Can't open file".
Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem as at the moment I am unable to sync my Legacy 8 files across from my PC to Nexus?

Please check that you're following the correct steps for transferring your file, as shown in out "How To" pages at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/howto/

Malcolm Green
(05-Jan-2014, 05:37 PM)malgre Wrote:
(05-Jan-2014, 05:11 PM)Rod Wrote: I have installed Families Sync on my PC & it opens, however, when I downloaded the sync on to my Nexus 7 Tablet I get a message stating "Can't open file".

Please check that you're following the correct steps for transferring your file, as shown in out "How To" pages at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/howto/

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,
I seem to be just going round in circles and getting nowhere. Clicking on "using the Sync device using Wi-Fi" when I enter the Device Address, I get a pop up stating "URI formats are not supported". I therefore cannot get beyond that point.

(05-Jan-2014, 07:05 PM)Rod Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,
I seem to be just going round in circles and getting nowhere. Clicking on "using the Sync device using Wi-Fi" when I enter the Device Address, I get a pop up stating "URI formats are not supported". I therefore cannot get beyond that point.

That error suggests that you're referencing your file using a web-based address, i.e. starting with http://. Families Sync will only convert files located locally. The filename would typically be something like C:\Legacy\Data\myfamilyfile.fdb.

Malcolm Green
(06-Jan-2014, 09:43 AM)malgre Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,

That error suggests that you're referencing your file using a web-based address, i.e. starting with http://. Families Sync will only convert files located locally. The filename would typically be something like C:\Legacy\Data\myfamilyfile.fdb.

Malcolm Green

Unfortunately I am completely confused, non of what you have written makes sense to me.
1. How as any of that got to do with the fact that the Sync on my Tablet just will not open, my logic tells me that if that doesn't open then nothing else will wok.
2. The fact that URI formats are not supported what has that got to do with filenames
3. When I check on my Legacy 8 program it is listed as "C:\Program Files (x86) \Legacy8\Legacy.exe". I have no midea whether that's a web based address or any other.
I'm sorry but nothing seems straight forward and I suppose I will just have to accept I have wasted my money in purchasing the Families program for my tablet. I shall just have to forget all about it, why on earth can't companies make things simple instead of difficult?

(06-Jan-2014, 11:02 AM)Rod Wrote:

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,

Malcolm Green

Unfortunately I am completely confused, non of what you have written makes sense to me.
1. How as any of that got to do with the fact that the Sync on my Tablet just will not open, my logic tells me that if that doesn't open then nothing else will wok.
2. The fact that URI formats are not supported what has that got to do with filenames
3. When I check on my Legacy 8 program it is listed as "C:\Program Files (x86) \Legacy8\Legacy.exe". I have no midea whether that's a web based address or any other.
I'm sorry but nothing seems straight forward and I suppose I will just have to accept I have wasted my money in purchasing the Families program for my tablet. I shall just have to forget all about it, why on earth can't companies make things simple instead of difficult?

I'm sorry you're having difficulty, but in order to help you we need clear details of where the problems are occurring. I'm afraid a statement like "the Sync on my Tablet just will not open" doesn't help us. As I mentioned before, the "How To" page on the web site gives a step by step description of the process of transferring a family file from the PC to the mobile device. Please follow this and describe in detail where what you are seeing differs from the description on the web site. I personally have a Nexus 7, as do a large number of our users, so I know that Families does work well on this device.

Malcolm Green
(06-Jan-2014, 11:58 AM)malgre Wrote:
(05-Jan-2014, 05:37 PM)malgre Wrote: Please check that you're following the correct steps for transferring your file, as shown in out "How To" pages at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/howto/

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,

Malcolm Green

I'm sorry you're having difficulty, but in order to help you we need clear details of where the problems are occurring. I'm afraid a statement like "the Sync on my Tablet just will not open" doesn't help us. As I mentioned before, the "How To" page on the web site gives a step by step description of the process of transferring a family file from the PC to the mobile device. Please follow this and describe in detail where what you are seeing differs from the description on the web site. I personally have a Nexus 7, as do a large number of our users, so I know that Families does work well on this device.

Malcolm Green

As per the "How To" instructions I have downloaded "Families Sync" onto my PC from the telegen.co.uk/Families Sync website by clicking on "click here to download and install Families Sync using a standard Windows Setup" which installed to C:\Program Files (x86)TelGen\Families Sync\. On launching the programme the Families Sync screen opens showing "Sync device using Wi-Fi". When I tap "locate Device by Address" a popup message appears asking me to enter the device address, as shown on the Families Sync screen e.g. 192.168.0.9: 5050. As there is no other device address shown I enter those numbers and click ok. A popup screen appears stating "URI Formats are not supported".
Unfortunately, I am unable to type anything under the "Name. Model. App Device" or "family files on device".
As I have followed the "How To" instructions to the latter what else can I do ?
(06-Jan-2014, 05:30 PM)Rod Wrote:
(06-Jan-2014, 11:58 AM)malgre Wrote:
(05-Jan-2014, 07:05 PM)Rod Wrote: Hi Malcolm,

Malcolm Green

Malcolm Green

As per the "How To" instructions I have downloaded "Families Sync" onto my PC from the telegen.co.uk/Families Sync website by clicking on "click here to download and install Families Sync using a standard Windows Setup" which installed to C:\Program Files (x86)TelGen\Families Sync\. On launching the programme the Families Sync screen opens showing "Sync device using Wi-Fi". When I tap "locate Device by Address" a popup message appears asking me to enter the device address, as shown on the Families Sync screen e.g. 192.168.0.9: 5050. As there is no other device address shown I enter those numbers and click ok. A popup screen appears stating "URI Formats are not supported".
Unfortunately, I am unable to type anything under the "Name. Model. App Device" or "family files on device".
As I have followed the "How To" instructions to the latter what else can I do ?

I think the point you're missing is that you need to enter the address shown on the Sync screen in the Families app on your Nexus 7. Run the app, tap the menu button (dotted vertical line) and select "Sync using WiFi" to get to that screen.

Malcolm Green
Well, I've done that and on my app screen it shows the following address, "192. 168. 0. 5: 5050" which is different from the one shown on my PC. I tried inputting that on my PC on the Families Sync screen but still can't do it.
Rather than all this exchange of emails is it not possible for me to speak to someone. I find it very difficult dealing with people via email, I'm just too old for this sort of thing, it's ok for youngsters but no for oldis
(06-Jan-2014, 06:54 PM)Rod Wrote: Well, I've done that and on my app screen it shows the following address, "192. 168. 0. 5: 5050" which is different from the one shown on my PC. I tried inputting that on my PC on the Families Sync screen but still can't do it.
Rather than all this exchange of emails is it not possible for me to speak to someone. I find it very difficult dealing with people via email, I'm just too old for this sort of thing, it's ok for youngsters but no for oldis

We are unable to provide telephone support, and in any case experience shows that support via email has many advantages including:
- much more efficient in time
- enables exchange of textual and graphical information relating to the problem, not possible by phone
- provides an audit trail of the problem and solution, which is valuable for subsequent reference in the event of a similar problem occurring later

So, please bear with us as we work on resolving your problem. When you entered the address on the Families Sync screen, please describe what happened. If an error message was displayed, please provide the exact text.

You may want to try transfer using USB, which is straightforward with the Nexus 7 and is also described in the How To pages.

Malcolm Green