Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invalid Family File
I just used Families to convert three Legacy files from version 8.414. Everything appeared to go properly. In iTunes I can see all three sqlite files. But when I try to open any of them I get a message window saying "Invalid Family File. file is encrypted or is not a database". The test file Kennedy Family still works OK.

I am using Families 2.1.0.2, iPad is 5.1.1

I realized that the Kennedy file I was working on was from version 7.5. I saw that in the log. I had sent the file back to Legacy and opened it in version 8.414 and it was behaving normally, no problems. But because my three conversions today did not work I decided to do a conversion on the Kennedy file that had been run in Legacy 8. Imagine my surprise to see that this file also is treated as an invalid file.

Result is that none of my Legacy files that were run in Legacy 8.414 are accepted in Families after converted to the sqlite file.

iPad is 5.1.1, Families is 2.1.0.2, FamiliesSync is 2.0.3.0, iTunes is 11.1.5.5

I will now try converting the same files from their 7.5 versions .....
NOPE!
i only tried one family, but after conversion would not open in Families. I have not been able to successfully convert even one file from version 7.5 or from 8.414. I had no problems with the Kennedy file being used in Legacy 7.5 or in 8.414, but that was the sample file provided with the app.

Please HELP!
(01-Apr-2014, 06:15 PM)rmhansense Wrote: I just used Families to convert three Legacy files from version 8.414. Everything appeared to go properly. In iTunes I can see all three sqlite files. But when I try to open any of them I get a message window saying "Invalid Family File. file is encrypted or is not a database". The test file Kennedy Family still works OK.

I am using Families 2.1.0.2, iPad is 5.1.1

I realized that the Kennedy file I was working on was from version 7.5. I saw that in the log. I had sent the file back to Legacy and opened it in version 8.414 and it was behaving normally, no problems. But because my three conversions today did not work I decided to do a conversion on the Kennedy file that had been run in Legacy 8. Imagine my surprise to see that this file also is treated as an invalid file.

Result is that none of my Legacy files that were run in Legacy 8.414 are accepted in Families after converted to the sqlite file.

iPad is 5.1.1, Families is 2.1.0.2, FamiliesSync is 2.0.3.0, iTunes is 11.1.5.5

I will now try converting the same files from their 7.5 versions .....
NOPE!
i only tried one family, but after conversion would not open in Families. I have not been able to successfully convert even one file from version 7.5 or from 8.414. I had no problems with the Kennedy file being used in Legacy 7.5 or in 8.414, but that was the sample file provided with the app.

Please HELP!

First, please reboot your iPad then try to transfer and open a file again. If this still fails, we'll need to get a copy of a file which gives the error. As it is unclear whether the problem is with Families Sync or the Families app, please include both fdb and sqlite files. Please zip and send to supportinfo@telgen.co.uk.

Malcolm Green
I had already sent the two files to you before I saw this posting. But I just followed your instructions above with no good results.

First, my 2.1.0.2 would not run, it had expired. So I reinstalled 2.1.0.1 and found it also would not run, had expired. So, I reinstalled 2.1, and it started OK, but gave me the same Invalid Family file message.

But I restarted the iPad, and rebooted the PC. Selected Kennedy 8.414, converted it OK (0 errors reported). and used iTunes to Add to the iPad. Saw it listed almost immediately. Went to open it and got the same error message.

So I put the oriiginal 8.414 file and the newly converted sql file into a zip file and sent it off to the email you referenced.

So, now I am back to version 2.10 that only allows me to use the family view.

Hoping for a quick release of 2.2 and/or a solution to this current Families problem.

Thanks.
I just sent four more files to telgen. I am including the content of the email to keep others informed of the progress ....
====================
Email contents:

I started wondering about this problem, if it also existed in version 7.5

So, I created a sqlite file from the 7.5 KennedyFamily that I had
received from the Families transfer sql to fdb. File opens fine in
Families.

So, I created a sqlite file from the 7.5 Sample file that I had received
with my Legacy program. File does not open, same error message.

I have attached all four files, the two source fdb files that run in
Legacy, and the 2 sqlite files that were sent to Families.

I would seem to me that the problem likely is in the Families Sync
routine. The only file that works in Families is the original Kennedy
Family file provided with Families. None of my family files that have
run in Legacy 7.5.0.278 or 8.414 are acceptable.

My copy of Families is the latest 2.1.1 (thanks for that).
iPad is 5.1.1, and Families Sync is 2.0.3.0

Hopefully, these additional files will help.
It has been six months, but I wanted to provide an update.

Malcolm spent many hours working with me to make this work, but finally had to stop so he could continue to maintain support on newer systems. We came to the conclusion that iPad version 5.1.1 was not going to suport Families.

So, I have patiently waited, and ultimately I bought a smart phone with Android. I contacted Malcolm and he allowed me to swap from the old ipad version to the Android version. I just installed Families on my phone, used Families Sync on my PC, and successfully opened my Legacy 8 files on my phone. I used the Families Sync tools to convert files on DropBox, and all went well. Only took less than five minutes to install, convert and download, and open files on the phone.

So I now have my mobile version of Legacy, and excited about having this with me at all times, without dragging along a computer or a laptop.

Thanks to Malcolm for excellent support, and a great product. Heart