Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display colors
    I'm a new user so please forgive me if any of this has already been discussed.

I purchased and installed Families 2.1.0 on my android tablet. It's capabilities seem to be excellent and the transfer from Legacy went well except for absent images. I do have a few comments and questions.

1. The images did not transfer from Legacy. What did I do wrong?

2. Is there a way to check for errors in the transfer?

3. The display is very infrmative and well planned and the red/blue gender colors nice. But I find the boxes' shiny grey background distracting. A simple white box background (like those Legacy uses)would imho be better and clearer. Is there an option to do that? Even with a sqlite editor or in a new version? Please?

4. Another display option would be the simple but intutive way GedstarPro displays its trees in android. The text is in Black, the boxes are light blue or light red depending on the gender. Maybe I just got used to them but I find them more legible and clearer. Can I offer this as a suggestion?

Thank you for what looks like a very nice app.

Wanted to add that the absent mage transfer was not because of an erroneous setting or I would not have asked. The setting is correct as can be seen on the attached image.
(18-Apr-2014, 06:00 PM)Anderson Wrote: I'm a new user so please forgive me if any of this has already been discussed.

I purchased and installed Families 2.1.0 on my android tablet. It's capabilities seem to be excellent and the transfer from Legacy went well except for absent images. I do have a few comments and questions.

1. The images did not transfer from Legacy. What did I do wrong?

2. Is there a way to check for errors in the transfer?

3. The display is very infrmative and well planned and the red/blue gender colors nice. But I find the boxes' shiny grey background distracting. A simple white box background (like those Legacy uses)would imho be better and clearer. Is there an option to do that? Even with a sqlite editor or in a new version? Please?

4. Another display option would be the simple but intutive way GedstarPro displays its trees in android. The text is in Black, the boxes are light blue or light red depending on the gender. Maybe I just got used to them but I find them more legible and clearer. Can I offer this as a suggestion?

Thank you for what looks like a very nice app.

Wanted to add that the absent mage transfer was not because of an erroneous setting or I would not have asked. The setting is correct as can be seen on the attached image.

Check the Families Sync log window (lower panel) for errors reported about image files during conversion.

Regarding your comments about colours, we use default colours, fonts etc in general, and currently have no plans to change this. User interface style is very subjective and if we were to make changes as you suggest, we're just as likely to get users wanting the current behaviour. So the only viable way would be to add settings to allow the user to customise the user interface, but this would add complexity both for the developer and the user to provide functionality which may only be used by a handful of users.

Malcolm Green
        [/quote]
(19-Apr-2014, 01:42 PM)malgre Wrote: Check the Families Sync log window (lower panel) for errors reported about image files during conversion.

Malcolm Green

I fully understand about the display. Is there a sqlite tool I could use to modify the display on my own or is that hard wired in the app?

I re-converted and watched for the error messages.
All the image files were skipped. The error message says for each of them:
Quote:Media file xyz.JPG missing

Yet they are all retrieved and appear properly within Legacy 7.5.

Additional info:
I suspect it might be a file location problem which I am inserting erroneously in the sync settings. Maybe you could suggest how I should fill the sync paths better so sync can find the image files during conversion.

Legacy is installed in the default installation location of C:\Legacy

But, I keep the Legacy data files in my data partition for easier backups and that is where the Legacy fdb data file is located which sync converts.

Attached is my file structure in Windows 7 for the Legacy data files.

The fdb file is in E:\Genealogy\Legacy
Within this same E:\Genealogy\Legacy data folder are the sub folders shown in the attached image.
I think many of the images are in E:\Genealogy\Legacy\Pictures (unless Legacy puts them elsewhere when they are put into Legacy).
but a number are located elsewhere which Legacy retrieves automatically.

Any suggestions to make sync find all the images during the conversion? Or a work around?

Would a gedcom conversion work better?

Thanks.
(19-Apr-2014, 01:42 PM)malgre Wrote: Check the Families Sync log window (lower panel) for errors reported about image files during conversion.

Malcolm Green

I fully understand about the display. Is there a sqlite tool I could use to modify the display on my own or is that hard wired in the app?

I re-converted and watched for the error messages.
All the image files were skipped. The error message says for each of them:
Quote:Media file xyz.JPG missing

Yet they are all retrieved and appear properly within Legacy 7.5.

Additional info:
I suspect it might be a file location problem which I am inserting erroneously in the sync settings. Maybe you could suggest how I should fill the sync paths better so sync can find the image files during conversion.

Legacy is installed in the default installation location of C:\Legacy

But, I keep the Legacy data files in my data partition for easier backups and that is where the Legacy fdb data file is located which sync converts.

Attached is my file structure in Windows 7 for the Legacy data files.

The fdb file is in E:\Genealogy\Legacy
Within this same E:\Genealogy\Legacy data folder are the sub folders shown in the attached image.
I think many of the images are in E:\Genealogy\Legacy\Pictures (unless Legacy puts them elsewhere when they are put into Legacy).
but a number are located elsewhere which Legacy retrieves automatically.

Any suggestions to make sync find all the images during the conversion? Or a work around?

Would a gedcom conversion work better?

Thanks.
[/quote]

SQLite is the database format and has no connection with how the user interface is displayed. As I mentioned, the colours etc are default, i.e. set by Android, rather than explicitly by the app.

Please select Legacy's Options>Customise>Locations, select View Current List of Multimedia Locations, and check that the list contains the folders in which your photos are located - if not, add them.

Malcolm Green
Thank you.