Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Failed to Locate Families Sync folder"
Using a USB connection with my Motorola Moto X Android 4.4 with Families v. 2.1.2 on the phone...

Families-Sync cannot find its Sync folder that it should have created on my phone. In Windows File Explorer, I see/confirm that no such directory exists on my phone. So that means syncing fails because there is no 'Plan B' or workaround. Does anybody have any suggestions before I ask for my money back?

Thanks -- Greg
(22-Oct-2014, 04:25 AM)ggupton Wrote: Using a USB connection with my Motorola Moto X Android 4.4 with Families v. 2.1.2 on the phone...

Families-Sync cannot find its Sync folder that it should have created on my phone. In Windows File Explorer, I see/confirm that no such directory exists on my phone. So that means syncing fails because there is no 'Plan B' or workaround. Does anybody have any suggestions before I ask for my money back?

Thanks -- Greg

Have you tried Wi-Fi transfer?

Malcolm Green
Thanks Malcolm for your quick reply.
Yes, my initial attempt to sync was via my WiFi. That failed in the following way:
(1) I'd give Families-Sync my phone's "address" (that looks like ###.###.#.#:5050), then
(2) After selecting my *.fdb file, Families-Sync would buzily prepare it for transfer, then
(3) Families-Sync would report that I had no device ...&... I'd see that the IP-address I'd entered had disappeared.
... I stepped through this process another two times, but the result never improved.

Thanks -- Greg
(22-Oct-2014, 04:54 PM)ggupton Wrote: Thanks Malcolm for your quick reply.
Yes, my initial attempt to sync was via my WiFi. That failed in the following way:
(1) I'd give Families-Sync my phone's "address" (that looks like ###.###.#.#:5050), then
(2) After selecting my *.fdb file, Families-Sync would buzily prepare it for transfer, then
(3) Families-Sync would report that I had no device ...&... I'd see that the IP-address I'd entered had disappeared.
... I stepped through this process another two times, but the result never improved.

Thanks -- Greg

This sounds strange and I've not seen that behaviour before. I assume you didn't exit from the Sync screen on your device during the process.

Returning to the USB transfer problem, this sounds like an instance as described at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum/s...p?tid=4863
We need to establish the storage path to the external SD card rather than the internal storage. You could try "/mnt/sdcard-ext" as used for the other Motorola devices in the list.

Malcolm Green
(23-Oct-2014, 09:35 AM)admin Wrote:
(22-Oct-2014, 04:54 PM)ggupton Wrote: Thanks Malcolm for your quick reply.

Thanks -- Greg

This sounds strange and I've not seen that behaviour before. I assume you didn't exit from the Sync screen on your device during the process.

Returning to the USB transfer problem, this sounds like an instance as described at http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/forum/s...p?tid=4863
We need to establish the storage path to the external SD card rather than the internal storage. You could try "/mnt/sdcard-ext" as used for the other Motorola devices in the list.

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,
I finally got sync to work by continually tickling my phone screen to keep it from going into sleep and breaking the connection. Four issues lead to this bad situation:
1) The Families "Sync using WiFi" Page is FULLY bright WHITE,
2) Which invoked all the Android power-saver-switches I have turned on,
3) Family-Sync (on PC) took a l-o-n-g time every time I ran it,
4) Because Family-Sync refused to allow me to select the SQlite file it just made and instead insisted on recreating a new SQlite copy from my *.fdb.

You should also note that my Motorola Moto X does not have a "SD card". All its memory is internal. So the issue of the untraceable file/directory location (for USB syncing) is unresolved.

Looking back on our conversation, I'm stuck by how little you contributed & how much information I provided for your benefit. I hope that you (& TelGen) make a better effort for your other customers.

Regards -- Greg
I too have received the "Failed to Locate Families Sync folder" message when attempting a connection via a USB cable.

Not every time, but often enough to be annoying.
To answer my own question..., all I needed to do was to unlock my phone after connecting the USB cable. Until the phone was unlocked, Families Sync could not "see" the phone.

Maybe this simple step should be made clearer in the instructions?