Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Families on a relative's iPad
I would like to share my family tree with my 101-year-old uncle, who has an iPad in a assisted-living facility. Is there a way for him to view my information if he gets Families Sync on his iPad? Thanks for your help.
(16-May-2015, 12:08 AM)gdahlin Wrote: I would like to share my family tree with my 101-year-old uncle, who has an iPad in a assisted-living facility. Is there a way for him to view my information if he gets Families Sync on his iPad? Thanks for your help.

Ideally you need a way to transfer your sqlite family file directly to your uncle's iPad without him needing to use a PC with Families Sync. There are a couple of ways to do this. These instructions assume that your uncle is able to receive email and that the Families app is already installed on his iPad.

1. If the file is not too large (e.g. less than 25 Mb if using Gmail) you can email it directly from within Families. Tap the i icon against the family file name, select "Email file ...", fill in the To address and Send. When your uncle opens the email, he can tap the attachment then select "Open in Families".

2. If the file is too large to email, you can use a cloud service such as DropBox. Copy the file into a DropBox folder on your PC then share a link to it, e.g. by right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer, selecting "View on DropBox.com", clicking the Share button against the file, filling in the "Send this link to" email address, and clicking Send. You could use Box, Google Drive etc in a similar way.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any problems with this.

Malcolm Green
Thank you so much: I'll try #2 as my file is huge.
Jerry
(16-May-2015, 09:13 AM)admin Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 12:08 AM)gdahlin Wrote: I would like to share my family tree with my 101-year-old uncle, who has an iPad in a assisted-living facility.  Is there a way for him to view my information if he gets Families Sync on his iPad?  Thanks for your help.

Ideally you need a way to transfer your sqlite family file directly to your uncle's iPad without him needing to use a PC with Families Sync.  There are a couple of ways to do this.  These instructions assume that your uncle is able to receive email and that the Families app is already installed on his iPad.

1. If the file is not too large (e.g. less than 25 Mb if using Gmail) you can email it directly from within Families.  Tap the i icon against the family file name, select "Email file ...", fill in the To address and Send.  When your uncle opens the email, he can tap the attachment then select "Open in Families".

2. If the file is too large to email, you can use a cloud service such as DropBox.  Copy the file into a DropBox folder on your PC then share a link to it, e.g. by right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer, selecting "View on DropBox.com", clicking the Share button against the file, filling in the "Send this link to" email address, and clicking Send.  You could use Box, Google Drive etc in a similar way.

I hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any problems with this.

Malcolm Green
Hi - thank you for this answer. I wondered if there is a way of physically loading my file onto something which could be plugged into relative's ipad to load into his Families app, e.g an SD card with adapter for lightning? We will be doing this exchange in a hotel with limited facilities!
(31-Mar-2017, 08:41 AM)drdave Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 09:13 AM)admin Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 12:08 AM)gdahlin Wrote: I would like to share my family tree with my 101-year-old uncle, who has an iPad in a assisted-living facility.  Is there a way for him to view my information if he gets Families Sync on his iPad?  Thanks for your help.

Ideally you need a way to transfer your sqlite family file directly to your uncle's iPad without him needing to use a PC with Families Sync.  There are a couple of ways to do this.  These instructions assume that your uncle is able to receive email and that the Families app is already installed on his iPad.

1. If the file is not too large (e.g. less than 25 Mb if using Gmail) you can email it directly from within Families.  Tap the i icon against the family file name, select "Email file ...", fill in the To address and Send.  When your uncle opens the email, he can tap the attachment then select "Open in Families".

2. If the file is too large to email, you can use a cloud service such as DropBox.  Copy the file into a DropBox folder on your PC then share a link to it, e.g. by right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer, selecting "View on DropBox.com", clicking the Share button against the file, filling in the "Send this link to" email address, and clicking Send.  You could use Box, Google Drive etc in a similar way.

I hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any problems with this.

Malcolm Green
Hi - thank you for this answer. I wondered if there is a way of physically loading my file onto something which could be plugged into relative's ipad to load into his Families app, e.g an SD card with adapter for lightning? We will be doing this exchange in a hotel with limited facilities!

Unfortunately the iPad doesn't support file transfer from an SD card except for photo files.  Your best bet would be to take a Windows laptop and transfer via USB/iTunes.  Or, if WiFi is available in the hotel, transfer via DropBox.

Malcolm Green