Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please - syncing problem
The day before yesterday I bought and downloaded the 'Families' app for my ipad in order to sync with my Legacy family trees on my computer.

The family trees have down loaded onto the ipad, no problem there, but I cannot fathom out why the trees will not sync up together. I done a test adding information to the ipad tree to see if it appears on the computer tree and vice versa. And nothing, no changes appear.

I have tried all ways to 're-down' load the tree onto the ipad thinking that might be the problem but again nothing seems to make a difference. Today I have also down loaded Legacy updates to make sure that was not the problem. My copy does appear to be Version 8.

Help please ?
(27-Sep-2015, 02:33 PM)CD1 Wrote: The day before yesterday I bought and downloaded the 'Families' app for my ipad in order to sync with my Legacy family trees on my computer.

The family trees have down loaded onto the ipad, no problem there, but I cannot fathom out why the trees will not sync up together. I done a test adding information to the ipad tree to see if it appears on the computer tree and vice versa. And nothing, no changes appear.

I have tried all ways to 're-down' load the tree onto the ipad thinking that might be the problem but again nothing seems to make a difference. Today I have also down loaded Legacy updates to make sure that was not the problem. My copy does appear to be Version 8.

Help please ?

You misunderstand the sync process. It is a manual sync from PC to device or device to PC. Just run Families Sync and select the direction in which you want to transfer the data.

Malcolm Green

(27-Sep-2015, 09:04 PM)admin Wrote:
(27-Sep-2015, 02:33 PM)CD1 Wrote: The day before yesterday I bought and downloaded the 'Families' app for my ipad in order to sync with my Legacy family trees on my computer.

Help please ?

You misunderstand the sync process. It is a manual sync from PC to device or device to PC. Just run Families Sync and select the direction in which you want to transfer the data.

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,
Sorry to be so dim. So are you saying that if I add information to say my ipad version I must go through the original 'transfer' process to add the additional information to my computer version. Then, if I add to my computer version I must then manually go through the syncing process again etc each time I need to update the family tree programme?

Thanks once again for your assistance,
CD
(28-Sep-2015, 10:15 PM)CD1 Wrote:
(27-Sep-2015, 09:04 PM)admin Wrote:

Help please ?

Malcolm Green

Hi Malcolm,
Sorry to be so dim. So are you saying that if I add information to say my ipad version I must go through the original 'transfer' process to add the additional information to my computer version. Then, if I add to my computer version I must then manually go through the syncing process again etc each time I need to update the family tree programme?

Thanks once again for your assistance,
CD
Yes, it's just a case of transferring the file to or from the PC as required. Note that transferring the file back to Legacy is not a merge process, i.e. it will overwrite the current Legacy file, so we always recommend that, before transferring back to Legacy, you take a Legacy backup. If you've made changes in both Legacy and Families and do need to merge then you can use Legacy's IntelliShare feature. This is all explained in detail in the help section "Transferring Family Files".

Malcolm Green