Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Stray characters in Source Detail
#1
I've noticed some stray characters (and I don't mean my ancestors) are showing up in the Source Detail of the Android Families app. 

If I drill down into the Source field, it shows the following characters "), " [without the quotes], before the contents of the Detail. I've attached screenshots to illustrate the problem.

   

   

I'm running the latest version of Families on Android Marshmallow, on a Nexus 5 phone. On the PC, it's WIN 7 32bit, running Legacy 8 Deluxe, and Families Sync v2.1.6.0.
Reply
#2
(16-Nov-2016, 02:27 AM)RustyJaw Wrote: I've noticed some stray characters (and I don't mean my ancestors) are showing up in the Source Detail of the Android Families app. 

If I drill down into the Source field, it shows the following characters "), " [without the quotes], before the contents of the Detail. I've attached screenshots to illustrate the problem.





I'm running the latest version of Families on Android Marshmallow, on a Nexus 5 phone. On the PC, it's WIN 7 32bit, running Legacy 8 Deluxe, and Families Sync v2.1.6.0.

There's no obvious way in which Families could corrupt this data.  I note that this source entry uses SourceWriter.  In this case, the data displayed by Families is derived from different fields in the FDB file from those displayed by Legacy.  It's just possible that the field displayed by Families in this case has somehow been corrupted by Legacy - it would not show up in Legacy as it's using a different field to display.  In order to progress the problem, please:

1. Run Legacy's File Maintenance, then transfer the file again to Families and check whether the problem still exists.
2. If it does, please zip and email your FDB file to supportinfo@telgen.co.uk (the data will be treated in confidence).

Malcolm Green
Reply
#3
Malcolm, I ran Legacy's File Maintenance procedure and transferred the new file to Families. Unfortunately, the problem of stray characters persists.

I have explored a bit further in Families, and found the problem shows up for some people, but not everyone. Sometimes on the Source Details for Death, and for Marriages, but not for Births. And it's present only when using Legacy's SourceWriter, but not for every time it's been used.

I tend to think you're correct in thinking that Legacy has probably corrupted these entries, not Families/Sync.
Reply
#4
I've discovered another example of stray characters in the Source listings on Families. This time it's in the Master Source field. See below...

   

   
Reply
#5
I raised the issue directly with Legacy (3 days ago), but so far have been ignored. I wasn't comfortable sending a copy of my FDB file to Malcolm, so I opened up the Legacy database tables myself. (I used to work on databases..., back in the day.)

This screenshot shows that the corruption is indeed being caused by Legacy, as Malcolm predicted. At some point, all further entries in the source detail field where prefixed with the stray characters. 

   

I have sent this latest screenshot to Legacy, and will let you know what happens.
Reply
#6
Malcolm, I have finally heard back from Legacy, and they have acknowledged the problem. 

They found the same corruption of data in one of their Test files. At this point, they have NO clue as to what is causing it. For some reason, the stray characters DO NOT show up in Lecagy's interface, only when transferred to 3rd party apps such as Families, or when the raw data is viewed in the database.
Reply
#7
Malcolm, the following is a reply from Legacy. 

They have identified the first part of the problem as something they need to fix (re: Source Detail field in screenshots 1 & 2). 

The second part of the problem as something you need to fix (re: Source Master field in screenshots 3 & 4).

-----------------
Okay, I have the issue entered for the    ),  spilling over from the Master Source to the Detail field.  The ), is coming from the URL field on the Master Source.  Legacy automatically puts parentheses around the URL and then a comma after.  The closing parenthesis and comma are spilling over into the detail field in Access though you don't see it in Legacy.  This will happen with any source that has a URL Field as the last field entered.  This is issue #7033.

The other issue is different.  The \i   \io codes are for italics.  Legacy automatically puts titles in italics.  You can see this in the output.  I don't think we can remove this.  You do see these codes in Access.  This is the only way Legacy can know to put this in italics even though you didn't specify it (it is in italics because that is the citation standard for titles).  In your Families screenshot, it is showing the codes but it didn't put the title in italics.  If Families isn't going to use the codes then they should strip them on their end.  Their other option is to read the codes and actually put the title in italics on your screen.

Sincerely,

Michele
Technical Support
Legacy Family Tree

-----------------
Reply
#8
Malcolm, I've had an update from Legacy about the status of the stray characters in the Source Details field:

------------------------

Our programmers have fixed the problem.  It will still have to be tested in the next beta release to make sure.  I am guessing the fix will be in Legacy 9 since it is close to release.

Sincerely,

Michele
Technical Support
Legacy Family Tree

------------------------
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)