Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 3 - Date format problem?
Is there a way to remove the dot in the date - as in: 23 Oct. 1980?  I'd prefer no dots at all.  I tried to turn dots off in settings, but it makes no difference.
(10-Feb-2018, 09:55 PM)RustyJaw Wrote: Is there a way to remove the dot in the date - as in: 23 Oct. 1980?  I'd prefer no dots at all.  I tried to turn dots off in settings, but it makes no difference.

Settings>Date Format>21 Jan 1910

Malcolm Green
Malcolm, I tried that (as I mentioned in my original post), it makes no bloody difference! The dot is still there!

If I choose 23 Oct 1980 >> I get 23 Oct. 1980 (one dot after month)

If I choose 23. Oct. 1980 >> I get 23. Oct.. 1980 (two dots after month!)

If I choose Oct 23, 1980 >> I get Oct. 23, 1980 (one dot after month)

There is something wrong with the app. It's as though one dot has been hard-coded in.

I'm on Android 6.0.1.
(11-Feb-2018, 09:49 PM)RustyJaw Wrote: Malcolm, I tried that (as I mentioned in my original post), it makes no bloody difference! The dot is still there!

If I choose 23 Oct 1980 >> I get 23 Oct. 1980 (one dot after month)

If I choose 23. Oct. 1980 >> I get 23. Oct.. 1980 (two dots after month!)

If I choose Oct 23, 1980 >> I get Oct. 23, 1980 (one dot after month)

There is something wrong with the app. It's as though one dot has been hard-coded in.

I'm on Android 6.0.1.

This is a mystery.  I've just tried it on 3 different Android devices and no dot is displayed after the month.  Can you confirm that the dot appears on every instance of the date when it contains a month?  And could you also let us know whether your Android device's language is set to something other than English?

Malcolm Green
OK..., figured it out. My device language was set to English (Australia), which added the dot after month. Changing it to English (United Kingdom), English (United States), or English (India), removes the damn dot! Weird!
Follow up..., while changing my device language to English (United Kingdom), or English (United States), or English (India) fixes the dot problem with Families, it introduces more problems with other apps.

Setting device language to English (United Kingdom) gives me the English Pound symbol where ever money is concerned in some apps.

Setting device language to English (United States) gives me US date formats (month, day, year), and a US spellchecker, in some apps.

Probably similar problems if I switched to English (India).

How about you guys just fix Families so I can choose the correct language for where I live?
(14-Feb-2018, 01:32 AM)RustyJaw Wrote: Follow up..., while changing my device language to English (United Kingdom), or English (United States), or English (India) fixes the dot problem with Families, it introduces more problems with other apps.

Setting device language to English (United Kingdom) gives me the English Pound symbol where ever money is concerned in some apps.

Setting device language to English (United States) gives me US date formats (month, day, year), and a US spellchecker, in some apps.

Probably similar problems if I switched to English (India).

How about you guys just fix Families so I can choose the correct language for where I live?

The dot is being inserted by Android not by Families and occurs when the date has been abbreviated, e.g. May has no dot and Jun. has the dot.  This appears to be an anomaly which only occurs on Android with the device language set to English (Australia) - the problem doesn't occur with iOS.  We'll add a workaround for the next version to remove the dot if the date format in Settings doesn't include a dot.

Malcolm Green
Great! Thanks for that!
Malcolm, the "dot for downunder" has been fixed with the overnight update. Thanks!