Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: Option to NOT resize/compress photos
The Families Sync program seems to insist on resizing (compressing) photos when transferring to iPhone & iPad. Is it possible to have an option NOT to do any resizing?

The reason for my question/suggestion is that I have many church records (pages) saved as JPG files and attached to Legacy events, and would like to transfer those untouched. Any resizing makes these unreadable....
(26-Oct-2010, 02:29 PM)Balle Wrote: The Families Sync program seems to insist on resizing (compressing) photos when transferring to iPhone & iPad. Is it possible to have an option NOT to do any resizing?

The reason for my question/suggestion is that I have many church records (pages) saved as JPG files and attached to Legacy events, and would like to transfer those untouched. Any resizing makes these unreadable....

I've been investigating the possibility of increasing the limit on picture sizes while implementing some other changes in image handling to improve performance and reduce memory usage. I've found that increasing the limit much above 1280 x 1280 results in random crashes due to low memory. Apple in fact recommend a maximum of 1024 x 1024 for image display. I'm therefore reluctant to provide the option to increase the value above 1280. What are the image sizes of the JPG's which you find to be unreadable? If possible, please send me one of your files so that I can experiment with different settings.

Malcolm Green
In Legacy, I always download the parish register page where I find evidence. I then attach the page (JPG) as a picture to the source detail in Legacy.

All parish registers (Norway) are published on the Internet (the ones approx. before 1920), and can be found here:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?id...arch=&js=j

(These are the records microfilmed by the mormons earlier, and now scanned/digitized for Internet presentation.)

A direct link to a page with a download link:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a14...660435.jpg

So to my original question: Does the photo/picture have to be reduced at all? Is it not possible to just copy them untouched? (I have no idea, I suppose it's an "Apple thing"?)

If you attach the parish record page to a Legacy source detail, and select the maximum of 1024 while tranferring to f.ex. the iPhone, you can zoom in to a certain amount and then "force zoom" while holding both fingers. As soon as you let go, the zoom drops back to the maximum "not holdin" zoom level (not readable). (This is zooming just like any photo on the iPhone.) While "force zooming", you can also see a lot of JPG compression artifacts which makes it worse.
(29-Oct-2010, 10:44 PM)Balle Wrote: In Legacy, I always download the parish register page where I find evidence. I then attach the page (JPG) as a picture to the source detail in Legacy.

All parish registers (Norway) are published on the Internet (the ones approx. before 1920), and can be found here:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?id...arch=&js=j

(These are the records microfilmed by the mormons earlier, and now scanned/digitized for Internet presentation.)

A direct link to a page with a download link:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a14...660435.jpg

So to my original question: Does the photo/picture have to be reduced at all? Is it not possible to just copy them untouched? (I have no idea, I suppose it's an "Apple thing"?)

If you attach the parish record page to a Legacy source detail, and select the maximum of 1024 while tranferring to f.ex. the iPhone, you can zoom in to a certain amount and then "force zoom" while holding both fingers. As soon as you let go, the zoom drops back to the maximum "not holdin" zoom level (not readable). (This is zooming just like any photo on the iPhone.) While "force zooming", you can also see a lot of JPG compression artifacts which makes it worse.

Please try the new version 1.1.1 of Families, together with the new version 1.1.4 of Families Sync. Set the Maximum Picture Resolution in FS to 1280 then transfer your file again. I've increased the maximum zoom level so that you can now achieve greater magnification without the display "bouncing back".

Malcolm Green
(10-Nov-2010, 11:54 AM)malgre Wrote: Please try the new version 1.1.1 of Families, together with the new version 1.1.4 of Families Sync. Set the Maximum Picture Resolution in FS to 1280 then transfer your file again. I've increased the maximum zoom level so that you can now achieve greater magnification without the display "bouncing back".

OK, have installed the new version og Families Sync, and Families v1.1.1 on both my iPhone 4 and my iPad, and have transfered my database again. I think I have better reolution, but still some JPG artifacts. It certainly helps with better zoom!

Now, for another change that would make your app better and more useful: While viewing photos, can you make the top and bottom "toolbars" disappear? (Just like the iDevice's own photo viewer..)