Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File upload hangs
I'm attempting to sync my Legacy file from Win XP onto an iPod Touch (iOS4). The FamiliesSync app finds the Touch, I select "Write Legacy File to iPod touch", I browse to the .fdb file and select it. FamiliesSync progress bar edges up, the PC says "Writing family to iTouch: 0.22 MB / 0.22 MB", the Touch say "Reading family from PC: 0.22 MB / 0.22 MB".

And then both the PC and the Touch sit there apparently for ever. On the PC, the mouse cursor becomes an hourglass over the FamiliesSync window, so I can't "Exit" it.

If I click "Done" on the Touch it goes back to the "Families" screen showing the Kennedy Family db, but not the imported one. FamiliesSync on the PC remains "hourglassed".

Any ideas what's happening?

Thanks,

Pete C.
The fact that the message says 0.22 MB / 0.22 MB indicates that the data transfer has completed, and there should then be a short process on the Touch where a message "Unpacking family: xxx / xxx" is shown. I assume that you're not seeing that. If you kill the Families Sync process on the PC and try the same thing again does it do the same?

Malcolm Green
(07-Aug-2010, 12:01 AM)malgre Wrote: The fact that the message says 0.22 MB / 0.22 MB indicates that the data transfer has completed, and there should then be a short process on the Touch where a message "Unpacking family: xxx / xxx" is shown. I assume that you're not seeing that. If you kill the Families Sync process on the PC and try the same thing again does it do the same?

Yup.

A couple of extra bits of information. I thought I'd better check my .NET installation was up to date and found there was an update to 2.0 SP2 available, so I installed that (just to be clear, I already had SP2 - this was an update on top of SP2).
Also I realised that I'd pointed my Legacy installation directory at my old Legacy 6 folder rather than the Legacy 7 one. Not sure how important that is - the data files are in a completely different folder (under My Documents) anyway, and the data file settings point to the right place.

So changed all that, uninstalled and re-installed FamiliesSync.

No difference.

Pete C.
Pete,

I'd like to try to determine whether the problem is related to your particular file or occurs with any file. Can you try transferring the Legacy Sample file (e.g. in c:\Legacy\Data\Sample.fdb) to see if that behaves the same way.

Malcolm
(07-Aug-2010, 09:20 AM)malgre Wrote: I'd like to try to determine whether the problem is related to your particular file or occurs with any file. Can you try transferring the Legacy Sample file (e.g. in c:\Legacy\Data\Sample.fdb) to see if that behaves the same way.

Yes, same results.

Just to try and give as much context as possible, Add/Remove Programs shows (among other things!):
Families Sync
Legacy 7.4
Legacy Charting 7.4
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

The device is an iPod Touch (3G? It's only a month or so old!) running iOS4.

Thanks,

Pete C.
(07-Aug-2010, 11:55 AM)bluefin Wrote:
(07-Aug-2010, 09:20 AM)malgre Wrote: I'd like to try to determine whether the problem is related to your particular file or occurs with any file. Can you try transferring the Legacy Sample file (e.g. in c:\Legacy\Data\Sample.fdb) to see if that behaves the same way.

Yes, same results.

Just to try and give as much context as possible, Add/Remove Programs shows (among other things!):
Families Sync
Legacy 7.4
Legacy Charting 7.4
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

The device is an iPod Touch (3G? It's only a month or so old!) running iOS4.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Pete,

Can you check and let me know the available storage space on your iPod Touch (Settings>General>About>Available.

Malcolm
(07-Aug-2010, 08:47 PM)malgre Wrote: Can you check and let me know the available storage space on your iPod Touch (Settings>General>About>Available.
Hi Malcolm,

14.7GB

I don't think I'm short of space :-)

Pete C.
(07-Aug-2010, 09:07 PM)bluefin Wrote: 14.7GB

P.S. Just so you know, I've just tried deleting the app from the Touch, then syncing it back onto the Touch from iTunes. No improvement I'm afraid.

Pete C.
(07-Aug-2010, 09:07 PM)bluefin Wrote:
(07-Aug-2010, 08:47 PM)malgre Wrote: Can you check and let me know the available storage space on your iPod Touch (Settings>General>About>Available.
Hi Malcolm,

14.7GB

Pete C.

P.S. Just so you know, I've just tried deleting the app from the Touch, then syncing it back onto the Touch from iTunes. No improvement I'm afraid.

Pete C.

Pete,

The question on space was a long shot as the only explanation I can see for your problem is that the app is throwing an exception while unpacking the file data, and a possible cause would be that it failed to write the file due to lack of space.

This is a strange problem in that, unlike the sync problem which several people have hit, and which we're currently investigating, yours is the only instance reported of a hang during the upload. At the moment it seems likely that the quickest way to resolve this will be to build a new version of Families with some extra code to help debug the problem. In order to do this I'll need to build an "AdHoc" version and would need the the device UDID (unique device identifier) of your iPod Touch, to enable the device to be registered as eligible to run the software. This is most easily achieved by installing and running this free App Store app:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSto...91333&mt=8
and sending the output to malcolm@telgen.co.uk.

It's now past midnight here in the UK so I shall resume in the morning.

Malcolm
(08-Aug-2010, 01:27 AM)admin Wrote: This is a strange problem in that, unlike the sync problem which several people have hit, and which we're currently investigating, yours is the only instance reported of a hang during the upload. At the moment it seems likely that the quickest way to resolve this will be to build a new version of Families with some extra code to help debug the problem. In order to do this I'll need to build an "AdHoc" version and would need the the device UDID (unique device identifier) of your iPod Touch, to enable the device to be registered as eligible to run the software. This is most easily achieved by installing and running this free App Store app:

Thanks Malcolm, email on the way.

Pete C.
(08-Aug-2010, 01:27 AM)admin Wrote:
(07-Aug-2010, 09:07 PM)bluefin Wrote:
Hi Malcolm,

14.7GB

Pete C.

Pete C.

Pete,

The question on space was a long shot as the only explanation I can see for your problem is that the app is throwing an exception while unpacking the file data, and a possible cause would be that it failed to write the file due to lack of space.

This is a strange problem in that, unlike the sync problem which several people have hit, and which we're currently investigating, yours is the only instance reported of a hang during the upload. At the moment it seems likely that the quickest way to resolve this will be to build a new version of Families with some extra code to help debug the problem. In order to do this I'll need to build an "AdHoc" version and would need the the device UDID (unique device identifier) of your iPod Touch, to enable the device to be registered as eligible to run the software. This is most easily achieved by installing and running this free App Store app:

It's now past midnight here in the UK so I shall resume in the morning.

Malcolm

I'm having the same problem on a Toshiba Satellite with Win7 Home 64 bit. Everything is updated, plenty of room on the iPod touch. I've tried 2 different files with same result.

I also have the additional issue that Families displays a device address that has nothing to do with my network. Entering that device address into Families Sync results in an "unable to connect to server" message. I enter the device address as shown in the iPod's Wi-Fi Networks settings with the :5050 added in order for Families Sync to see my iPod

Terri.